General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Accord V6 Cruise Control Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2001 Accord V6 Cruise Control Problem

Hi,

I've been having problems with my 2001 Accord V6's Cruise Control.

Master Control button lights. Set/Resume/Cancel buttons function. Control set light lights when set is pressed, turns off when cancel is pressed, etc.

The problem is that the car does not accelerate or maintain speed when cruise control is engaged. Cruise control will downshift as the car decelerates but no additional throttle is applied to return to the set cruising speed.

I checked the V6 Service manual and I'll start with their checklist.

Speedometer is fine.

Proper Engine Vacuum at the Actuator: I couldn't see where they listed how to check this in either the V6 supplemental Service Manual or the 4 Cylinder main service manual (Heck, I even checked the electrical service manual). So if this is something other than performing actuator test on 4-51, let me know what I'm looking for.

Fuses are fine.

Horn is fine.

Tach is fine.

They say to check the switch and the Control unit.

I don't see how the switch could be bad since it lights up the dash. If I'm mistaken on that one, let me know and I'll pull that one two.

So I went on to check the Control unit. I pulled the connector and check the resistance on teh first 3 pins they list (9,1 and 11) where they reported 20, -, and 80 ohms of resistance respectively. Since the first two were bad answers I didn't bother to check teh rest of the pins. I can if need be.

They list 3 possible answers, Faulty actuator solenoid, Poor Ground (G202), and an open in the wire. The actuator solenoid passed resistance testing. The Ground is in place and fine. I can't see how there could be an open in the wire.

I decided to keep checking the actuator while I was there and found that the picture they give on page 4-51 doesn't match up with the actual car. I'm assuming its off an older accord (98-00???) but the broad picture on 4-53 is what it actually looked like. So wioth that confusion aside I ran into a problem where the Actuator test refers to two different vacuum hoses; "the vacuum hose" and "Actuator Vent hose port." I only saw one vacuum hose coming off the actuator so I ran all my checks from there. With power it functioned fine. but when unpowered the actuator rod didnt' pull in.

I pulled the vacuum hose as near to the actuator as I could, jsut a short flex hose between my vacuum pump/gauge and the actuator itself. I'm not sure if their different reference is assuming I would have pulled the hose from closer to the vacuum tank or not.

So that said I have two questions.

1. Is there a 2nd hose on the actuator that I'm not finding that I should be checking for step 9 of the Actuator test?

2. Is the actuator the culprit even though the troubleshooting only lists the solenoid as a possible fault (unless that's what they mean by checking vacuum pressure at the actuator)?

Thanks!

Old 09-14-2009, 12:50 PM

Try checking your brake light switch. They are prone to failing, usually they won't light up but sometimes they prevent cruise from working.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Clarification on that if you would. I'm trying to find brake light switch in my service manuals and I just want to make sure I'm looking at what you want. Do you mean the Brake Pedal position switch or do you want me to check the voltage of the wiring for the brake pedal to the cruise control unit (Wire 5 on the 14p)

Old 09-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Is that the switch that disengages the cruise control when the brake is pressed?

Would that being defective prevent the cruise control light on the dash coming on when set is pressed?

Dash light lights when Set is pressed and turns off when brake is pressed (or cancel is pressed).

Old 12-13-2010, 03:50 PM

Cruise control not working 2001 Honda Accord LX V6. The button appears to be lit when pressed so I don't think it could be the switch, however the Cruise Control light does not light up on the speedometer panel. Even when I turn the key to the 2 (II) position the light does not turn on on the speedometer panel. I have tried unsuccessfully to activate the cruise control many times on the freeway hoping maybe the light was just broken.

I do notice that my Brake lamp stays illuminated when the car first is turned on, however this appears to be a common problem with 2001 Honda Accord. Could this possibly affect the Cruise Control?

I have already checked every single fuse in the car (driver panel, passenger panel, and under hood).

Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, just a reach here. First I assume the "brake" light is the big one on the dash and not the one by the "picture" of the car.

So let's start there, that light/circut being on/active is most likly the source....pulling the e-brake turns off the cruise and sets the same light? Has the cruise ever worked. Did it stop working when this "brake" light came on? Have you checked the level of fluid in the mast cyl, then go for the "switch" in the cap....personally I'd be more worried about the brake light than the cruise working......

EDIT: and I'll also assume no CEL light is on or has come on in the past-stored codes.

Last edited by poorman212; 12-13-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Ok, just a reach here. First I assume the "brake" light is the big one on the dash and not the one by the "picture" of the car.

So let's start there, that light/circut being on/active is most likly the source....pulling the e-brake turns off the cruise and sets the same light? Has the cruise ever worked. Did it stop working when this "brake" light came on? Have you checked the level of fluid in the mast cyl, then go for the "switch" in the cap....personally I'd be more worried about the brake light than the cruise working......

EDIT: and I'll also assume no CEL light is on or has come on in the past-stored codes.
poorman -- the cruise has never worked since i purchased the car used. the only light that turns on is the button located on the dash. the speedometer light has never turned on even in the key II position. i replaced the "Set, Cancel, Accel" switch on the steering wheel but no changes in behavior are seen. i already cleaned the brake filter within the fluid cylinder and the brake light no longer stays on and functions normally (only when car is in Park postion or when Emergency brake is pulled. i'm thinking its the electronic Cruise Control Unit/Module since a leaky vacuum hose would still light up the speedometer. any thoughts?

Old 01-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Might want to check brake light and cruise switch?

Honda part number: 36750-S84-003

Attached Thumbnails 2001 Accord V6 Cruise Control Problem-brake-cruise-switch-assembly.jpg  
Old 01-27-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Might want to check brake light and cruise switch?

Honda part number: 36750-S84-003
verified the cruise switch last night with meter. switch opens and closes properly on 2 pins. will need to perform same test with brake light switch when i get home, but i'm fairly certain its working since the brake lights work properly.

my guess is i need to replace the cruise control module.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by lawrencl
verified the cruise switch last night with meter. switch opens and closes properly on 2 pins. will need to perform same test with brake light switch when i get home, but i'm fairly certain its working since the brake lights work properly.

my guess is i need to replace the cruise control module.
Problem fixed!

Turned out to be very simple. It was the brake switch, which seems to be the culprit for many Honda owners with cruise control issues. Had to take a wrench and bent the metal flap towards the switch so it would engage properly. I guess over time the metal flap needs adjusting.

Good luck to everybody else with the same cruise control problem.