General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Honda Accord Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 01:19 AM
Question 2001 Honda Accord Cruise Control

I posted this on the Honda Forum, but I think I might fair better in the Honda Accord Forum... as I have an Accord. (Basically, I'm not spamming, just trying to get as much input as I can.)

I have found a few hundred posts discussing problems with the cruise control on the Honda Accord. It is a relief that I am not alone with this problem, but I haven't seen a good resolution... so I thought I'd post my dilemma and any progress I make, so that if anyone else has this problem, there will be a comprehensive explanation of how I resolve my issue. In most of what I have found, the originator does not post the resolution.

I am going to be driving from San Francisco to New Jersey and I would really like to be able to use cruise control through the flat, long part of the journey.

My car: I have a 2001 Honda Accord EX, Coupe, Manual Transmission, 4 Cylinder, VTEC. (And it is silver.)

My problem: My cruise control is not working.
When I press the Cruise Control button on the dash (next to the moon roof button) the light comes on. When I try to use the Set Control button on the steering wheel, nothing happens. The light on the dash display does not come on and the cruise control does not function. I checked the fuses and they are fine. (I actually pulled the fuses and then put them back, when I started it, the CEL came on but the main Cruise Control button did not light up. I put the unbroken fuses back and I reset the CEL light/error codes with my code reader.)
I tried tightening the control on the steering wheel and taking it off and cleaning it.
When I start my car, I still have to depress my clutch or it will not start, so I am assuming that it is not the switch in the clutch.
My brake lights all function properly, does this mean it is probably not my brake switch?
I forgot to try pressing my horn and trying to set it on the highway tonight, so I don't know if that is where the problem is or not.

What other troubleshooting tips should I pursue? And where are the vacuum hoses for the cruise control? I wanted to check them, but it was dark and I didn't have a flashlight, so I'll do that tomorrow. If they are attached, could there still be a problem with that unit? Could it still be the brake switch? Is there any way for me to test the steering wheel control unit?

(Also, my access to tools is limited as I moved to California to go to school and stayed. I do have a decent socket wrench set and screw drivers and the general "mechanics set" made by Craftsman, a code reader, and, for some reason, an 02 sensor tool. I do not have a voltage meter, though. I also don't mind buying a few tools, if necessary... as long as they don't cost $500 for a tool I'll only use once.)

Old 08-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Try lifting the brake pedal with your toe and set the cruise control. Ditto for the clutch pedal. If doing that doesn't reveal the problem then a meter would be really helpful, even a $5 Harbor Freight DVM would work fine. Follow the factory service manual trouble shooting chart and you'll find your problem. Test the electro-mechanical devices first, the switches and if necessary the actuator, before resistance and voltage checks of the control unit. You'll need a hand held vacuum pump to test the actuator and they're not cheap, probably $35 at Harbor Freight, but they're really handy to have for other stuff too. Oh, and the obvious: is the CC throttle cable connected?

Old 08-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I have the exact same car, my issue turned out to be the cruise control button. I went through the whole diagnostic process in the service manual; it tell you how to check every aspect of the cruise control system. I would assume that your brake and clutch switches are fine since they are functioning during other operations. As mentioned above, get yourself a voltmeter since most of the test involve checking resistant between various points. The actuator test, I believe, involves jumping the unit with a 12v supply and checking for function though.

Good luck, I assure you that your solution is in that manual.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Another item to check is where the cruise control cable attaches to the throttle body. It fits into a plastic piece. My friend's 99 plastic piece broke and the cable was not locked into that plastic piece.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:43 AM

WhiskeySlick: Do you mean the Cruise Control Switch - the one on the steering wheel? (Seems a lot more affordable than the Controller)

Today I got my SRS light fixed (broken seat belt latch) and I fixed the light in my dash clock (I know, I have backwards priorities sometimes).

I'll get a voltmeter tomorrow. I have already had several occasions where one would have helped me in the past... so it is not a bad investment. I'm going to test the steering wheel Cruise Control Switch first... because I've suspected that all along, and WhiskeySlick seems to support my theory.

And I'll check the throttle cable and connections of it... and go from there (following the steps on here and the FSM) and get back to the results.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:12 AM
Exclamation

Today, I checked the switches on the brake and clutch peddles, just to see if they were stuck... before I went to the store. (I don't know if that did anything, they seemed fine.)

On the way to go get a multimeter at Sears, I kicked my brake peddle and pulled it up and my cruise control works now... so it was the brake switch, evidently. Sorry I don't have more trouble shooting steps to identify in this thread for others to follow... I really didn't think it would be such a quick and easy fix.

So, long story short... my brake switch was stuck and now it is not and my cruise control works now.

Thank you everyone for the advice and attention.. I'm glad I didn't have to utilize all of it, but I appreciate it so very much.