General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Accord won't run right

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 12:19 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2001 Accord won't run right

Any advice??

2001 Honda accord 4cyl auto. 166,000 kilometers.
It was running like a top then the transmission failed. (drivers side output bearing failed and took out the oil seal)
I pulled the transmission out and sent it in for rebuild.
I finished the re-install two days ago and fired it up.
Now it won't run right. It labours to idle and shuts off at 2000 rpm like there is no fuel. As soon as the rpm drops it runs again.

Each of the plug wires has a good spark. Each of the fuel injectors is activating (clicks in a stethoscope). No Codes are stored and check engine light is Not on unless I unplug a sensor and throw a code.

Ive gone over each of the sensors and wires That I unplugged and made sure that they are all correctly plugged in. Both grounds are also properly connected. I have checked all of the wiring looms for damage and found only two minor defects which I dont believe are causing the issue. The distributor plug is missing a piece of plastic on the corner but makes a good connection. The loom to the prndl switch on the trans is cracked but the switch and wiring looks good underneath.

I have done this job on a 2000 accord and on a 96 accord with good results and I am at a loss to what I did wrong.

Could I have caused the timing belt to skip? (turning flywheel to bolt on torque converter)

Any other things to check? I have an overhead hoist and held the engine up by the tang and bolt near the distributor.

Thanks for your advice.

Jeff

Old 10-30-2017, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

When you turned the flywheel to bolt on the torque converter, did you turn it forwards or backwards? Backwards can cause the timing bent to skip - not all the time, but forwards is how you're supposed to do it. Pull the valve cover & check it...

Any chance you partly crushed a fuel line causing a restriction?

Old 11-05-2017, 01:04 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey thanks for the advice. No doubt about it. I turned the flywheel both ways when I changed the transmission. I pulled the valve cover and the timing belt covers today and It looks like its still in time. I will check it one more time when I am not tired but it looks like all the marks are still lined up. (I did the timing belt about 3-4 months ago.) The plugs are heavily fouled with carbon and there is a black soot mark where the exhaust hit the wall. It is definitely running very rich.

I'm still at a loss to figure it out unless something un-related failed??
The engine was well supported with a chain-hoist and The fuel hose from firewall to engine is soft rubber so I doubt I crushed a fuel line.

I've looked over all the wiring, plugs and plumbing and nothing looks damaged.

Maybe I will have to limp it to the dealer and have it read on a better scan tool???

I hate to admit defeat but I'm at a loss on this one.

Thanks

Jeff

Old 11-06-2017, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

The rubber fuel hose connects to a steel tube that runs under the car. It finds it's way down towards the bottom of the firewall & that's where you might want to look for anyplace that looks damaged.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:13 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thank you. Yes I have checked the fuel line. on the firewall. I also pulled the plugs off of every sensor on the wiring harness in case they got crushed or damaged. All the plugs look ok with the exception of a crack at the prndl switch (cover only) and at the distributor where a corner of the male plug is broken off but the wiring inside is good. I also unwrapped and checked the loom behind the manifold as the plastic was dented. The wires inside were untouched. So I have re-wrapped it.

Again thanks for the advice. I do appreciate it.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Make sure that you didn't switch the fuel supply/return line on the rail. I remember reading that switching them was possible on some accords.

Have you scanned for any engine codes?

Old 11-07-2017, 11:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I'd probably double and even triple check my work. It sounds like something simple is keeping it from running correctly (up to 6K red line). Maybe even double check your grounds. Also make sure the trans plugs are in the correct locations. I only say that, as I don't know it they can be swapped in positions. Did you unplug any of the engine plugs? If so, check to see that you didn't plug the Map sensor plug into the TPS, as those 2 are 3 wire plugs, and are both gray in color.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Solved!!!

You sir are a genius and I am an idiot for missing it:

"check to see that you didn't plug the Map sensor plug into the TPS, as those 2 are 3 wire plugs, and are both gray in color."

Mine are actually gray and blue and Yes I had them plugged in backwards! I should have figured it out on my own because I actually played with them a bit because the wiring looms didn't seem to "lay" right.

Thank You very much for sharing experience and knowledge! Oh and the car is running perfectly again.
Jeff

Old 11-12-2017, 12:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by jhanratt
You sir are a genius and I am an idiot for missing it:

"check to see that you didn't plug the Map sensor plug into the TPS, as those 2 are 3 wire plugs, and are both gray in color."

Mine are actually gray and blue and Yes I had them plugged in backwards! I should have figured it out on my own because I actually played with them a bit because the wiring looms didn't seem to "lay" right.

Thank You very much for sharing experience and knowledge! Oh and the car is running perfectly again.
Jeff
Cool. Glad to hear the fix was something simple and easy.