General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Accord LX 2.3 Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Default 2002 Accord LX 2.3 Transmission problems

Having issues with transmission. Pulled two codes P0740 and P0780 and the "D4" flashes until the ignition is turned off. Once I start driving it, the "D4" flashes and the car will not accelerate in drive. The transmission needs to be down shifted to keep moving. I checked the solenoids on top of the transmission and they checked good, but could not find the Transmission Control Module (TCM). Can someone please help me find it ? I looked under the passenger floor carpet wasn't there and then took the entire center console apart too. Any suggestions are greatly welcomed. Thanks, Woody

Old 09-04-2015, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

The TCM and ECM are packaged together & called the "PCM" = powertrain control module.

Low & forward in the center console. Kinda forward & under the storage bin way forwards from the shift lever.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
The TCM and ECM are packaged together & called the "PCM" = powertrain control module.

Low & forward in the center console. Kinda forward & under the storage bin way forwards from the shift lever.
Thanks for the reply Jim. Does this module control the transmission ? I removed it and opened it up, but didn't see anything obvious that looked smoked. Thanks again, Woody

Old 09-04-2015, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, it controls the transmission. Starting 1998 they combined them into 1 unit.

Old 09-05-2015, 04:19 AM

I suggest removing all the solenoids and cleaning the screens. Also smell the transmission fluid. If it has a funky smell as compared to new/clean fluid then it may be the torque converter is over heating which can be it is failing or low ATF flow.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:38 AM
Default Transmission failing ?

Now the car will not shift out of first gear. The fluid does not smell burnt and the quantity level looks good. I pulled the solenoids and the screens looked clean. We took it to the transmission shop last week before it got this bad and they said the transmission seemed to be ok. I have two questions, can the ECU be causing this ? Is the transmission bad and I need to take it to the transmission shop ? Thanks for the replies, Woody

Old 09-08-2015, 02:36 PM

I know you have D4 codes but is the check engine light on too, and if so what are the codes. They do work in tandem and are a package deal with your generation. It sounds like a low flow or torque converter issue. Did you happen to ask how the shop came to the decision that it was good? We have had a few come through the shop where the PCM was the culprit so it is not unheard of, but then again it is not that common. If you suspect that is it you need to get he number off the PCM in your car and locate one with the same number. You can contact East Park Auto in NY and see if they have one as they are a Honda/Acura only salvage yard and we have had great success with parts from them.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Turtlehead
I know you have D4 codes but is the check engine light on too, and if so what are the codes. They do work in tandem and are a package deal with your generation. It sounds like a low flow or torque converter issue. Did you happen to ask how the shop came to the decision that it was good? We have had a few come through the shop where the PCM was the culprit so it is not unheard of, but then again it is not that common. If you suspect that is it you need to get he number off the PCM in your car and locate one with the same number. You can contact East Park Auto in NY and see if they have one as they are a Honda/Acura only salvage yard and we have had great success with parts from them.
The two codes that were thrown are P0740 and P0780. It was taken to another shop today and they are saying the transmission is shot and it will cost $2900. I told my son he can buy another car for that much....By the way we are in Florida.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:32 PM

I am in New Hampshire. They ship parts and we have used them for years. As far as your issue goes there are a few things I would think about doing before getting rid of it... First take it someplace for a third opinion. Right now you have one that says it is good and one that says it is bad...... I am skeptical. Do a drain and fill with Honda ATF, if it seems a bit better and still not perfect repeat the drain and fill. It may be a fault in the wiring or the PCM so call East Park in NY ( they will show up on a Google search) and price out the PCM with them. Have them save your quote and if needed you can call them back and have it shipped. They can tell you everything you want to know about the car it is from including type of accident, mileage etc. they are a very good Honda/Acura salvage yard.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:53 PM

Sorry as I forgot to mention, a transmission swap should take around 4 to 5 hours start to finish for your car. That being said if it comes to a transmission failure which is not that common on your generation if it has been maintained, you should be able to find a used transmission for around 5 to 6 hundred dollars with low mileage. Thus if your shop get $80 per hour at the max of five hours and the higher price for a low mileage used transmission with torque converter you would be looking at around $1,000 to $1,200. The price you mentioned seems really high so I would have to assume they wanted to rebuild it, because a good rebuild would be even higher. Take into account the condition of the car before making your decision if it come to a transmission. If the car is in great shape with good clear coat and little to no rust, and everything else has been maintained then it might be worth throwing a used one it it. Best of luck.