General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 Honda Accord 4cyl brake light and battery light on solid

Old 01-31-2019, 12:20 PM
Default 2002 Honda Accord 4cyl brake light and battery light on solid

Last week the brake light, battery light, and the door ajar lights came on. The brake light would flash. I took it to Advanced Auto Parts and checked the battery/charging system. Alternator putting out almost 14v and battery checked fine. The positive lead to the battery was quite corroded so I replaced the terminal end. Hooked it all back up and the lights stayed off...until today. The brake light and the battery light came on today and they are both solid. Any thoughts?

Old 01-31-2019, 05:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Robert McMillan
Last week the brake light, battery light, and the door ajar lights came on. The brake light would flash. I took it to Advanced Auto Parts and checked the battery/charging system. Alternator putting out almost 14v and battery checked fine. The positive lead to the battery was quite corroded so I replaced the terminal end. Hooked it all back up and the lights stayed off...until today. The brake light and the battery light came on today and they are both solid. Any thoughts?
It sounds like a charging system issue. double check the grounding. It's possible for the grounding straps to get corroded and cause electrical issues. Double check the grounding to the alternator.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

You cleaned the battery cable at the battery, but what about the other end of that cable? Also, sometimes you can get corrosion between the clamp and the cable itself, along with the connection to the battery post.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:16 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
You cleaned the battery cable at the battery, but what about the other end of that cable? Also, sometimes you can get corrosion between the clamp and the cable itself, along with the connection to the battery post.
Yup. I just replaced the positive cable on my 99 after coming out to a dead battery. The positive cale was full of green stuff since it had a replacement end on it (got it that way).