General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Accord 4 Cyl Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 07:27 PM
Arrow 2003 Accord 4 Cyl Overheating

Here is yet another system of the Honda Accord I get to learn about. Driving back from work today I noticed my AC was running hot then a few minutes later I noticed my temp gauge had spiked to red line. I pulled off on the side of the road and looked under the hood and the metal cap for the coolant was twisted sideways and coolant was spewing out. I waited for the car to cool down and twisted it shut then drove back home but the temp gauge still went to red. At home I checked the fuses and the radiator fan fuse had blown. I had a friend take me to autozone and I bought a new fuse however that did not fix the problem. Last Saturday I replaced the starter and I wonder if I did something while removing the intake manifold. Any help is very appreciated.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Refill the radiator and the reservoir with the proper mix of coolant and water (Honda coolant type 2 is pre-mixed).

You probably have a short in a wire or electrical connector. A short is an accidental connection of a wire to ground or to another wire.

Check the wire insulation and electrical connectors.

Which specific fuse was blown, i.e., number and amperage, under-hood or under-dash?

Old 08-28-2012, 08:30 PM

Actually the reservoir is way past the full point because of a dunce tech at Time it lube. I've looked at connections and such and have no found anything. The fuse was a 20 amp under the hood that said it went to the fan.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Here is the circuit diagram for your car. The diagram may help you in trying to narrow which wires and connections to check for the short.

2003 Accord fan wiring

Old 08-28-2012, 08:49 PM

Did the fuse blow again

Old 08-28-2012, 10:12 PM

The fuse did not blow but the fan is still not working.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:14 PM

Oh and thanks for the wiring diagram. Once it is light outside I will check the other relays and fuses.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:28 PM

I was thinking of a possibility...could I have introduced air to the coolant system when I replaced the starter? The intake manifold had to be disconnected which took the throttle body with it. When I removed two hoses attached there was coolant in them that I had to plug up. Then because of the air could the water pump have cavitated and failed causing a chain reaction to overheat the fans and cause a fuse to blow?

Old 08-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

That's kind of unlikely a little air would have cause what you described. Sounds more like a short caused the blown fuse for the radiator fan. Subsequently, no radiator fan running and overheating. Check all the electrical connectors and any other fuses shown in the diagram.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:50 PM

A friend told me that the car shouldn't overheat because of the radiator fan if I am driving fast. Is that true?

Quick Reply: 2003 Accord 4 Cyl Overheating