General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 accord ex 2.4 l Crank but won’t start …

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 02:57 PM
Exclamation 2003 accord ex 2.4 l Crank but won’t start …

new to the forum Hey guys, sorry if I sound a little uneducated on the topic I’m not a mechanic but pretty handy. So the other day I was driving from my work shop onto highway started loosing acceleration and it died completely. Towed it home. So far tried boosting , had old battery so I got a new one still nothing. Cleaned plugs , fuel pump relay , it sounds like it’s almost there but won.t turn over. To me everything points to a fuel issue ( not a pro with these types of things ). Don’t have a fuel pressure gauge but took out the fuel pump tested in a wet setting seems to be pumping fine. Can hear the pump go on when I prime up. Not imobilizer i don’t think flashing green key goes off. Can’t test fuel pressure regardless won’t start. Ruled out all electrical alternator starter. Fuses. Any ideas or suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated by someone more knowledgeable or exoerienced. Thank you so much ! ( hooked up cheap obd2 scanner, getting a knock sensor code which I had before, and than s9me emmisons codes cat and Eva one of my o2 sensors not working if not two. And I know a few holes by exhaust manifold. Small holes. So vacuum leaks. Yet don’t think enough to cause no start. Just guessing. Oh and got throw a code related to Hester motor circuit I believe. All the emissions codes are pretty red lighted but nothing I would think for a no start ). Thanks again !

Old 04-09-2022, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

You need to determine if lack of spark or fuel is the issue. A quick test is to remove the snorkel to the throttle body and have an assistant spray staring fluid into the throttle body while you try to start the car. If the car starts and runs (probably poorly) then you have a fuel delivery issue. Could be fuel pump, injectors, wiring, etc., so you will have to troubleshoot more.

Old 04-10-2022, 11:49 AM

Hey dude thanks so much for the reply. K so update. I did some More trouble shooting, I cleaned my plugs. Got my brother to blast some quick start into intake it turned over did for about two seconds So I’m guessing I have a fuel delivery issue. When I turn the key my fuel pump primes. I pulled out the fuel pump because it was pretty easy on My accord ( or whole sending unit. ). Cleaned out the strainer etc. I dont have a fuel pressure test gauge. I wired up fuel pump in a water kind of tank to a fused 12 volt battery. It’s pumping. I’ll put it all the way back in and find a way to go get a fuel pressure gauge if I have to which is probably the case. but I’m just curious to know if it’s pumping the correct pressure. In the water tank it’s pumping out a decent amount. I don’t know what the right psi would kind of look like visually ( I know just go get a fuel pressure test ). It’s just weird , seems to me that if the pump is weak , but still pumping which would be the scenario, it doesn’t seem like that would cause a complete no start. I could be totally wrong, as I’m not It a mechanic. Thanks a lot for the reply an opinions on that or thoughts .? Appreciate it very much 🤙

Last edited by PAhonda; 04-10-2022 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-10-2022, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

The fuel pump could be ok, but the fuel injectors are not getting power. Each injector has 2 wires, where one wire at every injector has the same color. That wire is the power side of the injector. You can try unplugging the fuel injector electrical connector, turn the key to the II position, then put your red volt meter lead on the common power wire to the injector, and your negative meter lead on the negative battery post. With the key in the II position, that wire should have 12V.