General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Accord lock, window, and immobilizer problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 06:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2003 Accord lock, window, and immobilizer problems

Hello all,

I recently picked up a 2003 Accord with about 90k miles and am having various issues. I got the car from my parents (who purchased it new from Honda) and did not have any of these issues before giving it to me. Everything is stock besides a compustar 2way autostart which has been installed since 2004ish.

First, my rear driver-side door lock quit working. I noticed that it wouldn't lock/unlock using either key, the autostart, or by pushing the driver main lock button. The only way to lock/unlock is to reach back and pull up on the ****. After a bit of research I came to the conclusion that, since it was s single door, it was a bad actuator. I replaced the actuator and still have the issue.

Second, I noticed the front passenger window moving slowly then the next day it would not go down or up. I took out the driver side master window/ door switch part and noticed that the plastic switch you pull/push to operate that window has a crack. I'm not sure if this may have gotten it stuck in the on position and burned up the regulator or something? When I try and use the window I hear a click but nothing actually happens then it clicks again. I believe this may have been after a car wash however the vehicle is always parked in a heated garage..not sure if that bit is relevant.

Third, the green key shaped immobilizer light has come on twice while driving. Both times after turning the vehicle off and on the light is gone. My understanding is that the immobilizer keeps the vehicle from starting but I have not been able to figure out why it comes on while its running.

Lastly, my trunk light does not work. I have replaced the bulb and the light socket fixture but this did not fix the issue. I have no idea when this stopped working or if it was working when I first picked up the vehicle. The car was backed into and the trunk lid fixed and I am thinking maybe they did not replace the latch? It is my understanding that there is some type of mercury switch that controls the light and this switch is located in the latch?

After my door actuator fix did not work I got to thinking that maybe all of these issues are related.. I read about door or window issues relating to the Multiplex Integrated Control Unit but before I throw a bunch of money into parts I would like see if there is a way to tell if they are actually related problems?

Could this MICU, or something like it, have anything to do with the issue or is it better to treat separately? I asked Honda and they said the MICU is pretty bulletproof and they wanted to diagnose each problem separately for 100$ each. I figured I would post and see if anyone had ideas before spending 400 on diagnostics!

Thank you for any help and let me know if more information is needed or if I need to provide any info or test anything.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Progress...

I just wanted to update my last post and hopefully someone may have an idea.

I took apart the front passenger door and used a test light to confirm that there is in fact power to two pin connector to the window motor when I operate the switch. Since there appears to be power and I do not hear anything besides the click (no motor noises), would a new motor be the next step?

Also, If that's the case should I assume all of the issues in my last post are not related?

Old 04-24-2013, 06:25 PM

For your door lock do you hear power to the actuator when you press the lock or unlock button? I had a 99 mustang and I believe it was my actuator going out so whenever I unlocked it the **** wouldn't push up enough to actually unlock so I had to press it 3 times to get it all the way up to unlock

Old 04-24-2013, 06:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by robbierob02
For your door lock do you hear power to the actuator when you press the lock or unlock button? I had a 99 mustang and I believe it was my actuator going out so whenever I unlocked it the **** wouldn't push up enough to actually unlock so I had to press it 3 times to get it all the way up to unlock
No, it doesn't sound like anything is attempting to move in the door... I pressed the lock button a handful of times and it remained in the same position. I will try to test voltage going to the actuator and report back tomorrow.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:00 PM

Yes test the voltage and if you confirm that there is voltage being fed to the actuator test the actuator by grounding it somewhere and take a known hot wire and tap some extra wire into it (if you have any on hand) and put it to the actuator to see if it activates