General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Accord V6 not starting-replaced battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Default 2004 Accord V6 not starting-replaced battery

Hey guys, I had an account on this forum (Username: TC6) but I don't have the email address anymore so I can't log in with that.

Anyway, I'm in need of some help. I have a 2004 Accord V6 with 133k miles on it. Yesterday morning my mother took it to work and it started and drove fine.

Last night it doesn't start, once you sit in the car and attempt to start the lights started flickering and all this clicking started. I assumed it was the battery and attempted to jump it and this didn't work. I called American Express Roadside Assistance and his jumper box didn't work either. He tested the battery and it said it was getting 12.5 volts but then started going down afterwards to 9 volts(after multiple attempts and 20 min later). He said it's not the battery because his jumper box would start it even with a completely dead battery and said it was the starter or some electrical issue.

The battery is almost 5 years old so I decide to change it anyway. Changed it this morning and still the same issue. No start and all the lights flicker on and off and no crank. So now I will have it towed to my mechanic tomorrow(car is in hospital parking lot, and I don't have the tools or knowledge to start testing and replacing parts).

I'm trying to diagnose it just so I have an idea what to expect...I'm assuming it's the starter or alternator.

I cleaned the battery terminals when I changed the battery, I'm ruling the ignition switch out because I assume if it the lights flicker and I hear the "click" of turning the key its ok.

Any ideas or has anyone had the same problem? Thanks!

Old 06-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Just me but I would double check the battery conncetions (that boot over the + side hides things sometimes). Then there is the "other end" of the - cable.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:30 PM

Wish I knew. Like to find out how this works out. I'll check back. Good Luck.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Just me but I would double check the battery conncetions (that boot over the + side hides things sometimes). Then there is the "other end" of the - cable.
It was exactly this. Pulled off the plastic clip and the terminal was completely corroded. Replaced the terminal, problem solved. Thanks!

Old 06-11-2013, 09:10 AM

Good deal. Here is a story. Everything went dead. Nothing. Checked battery, went nuts. IT was the main battery cable to the starter. Just loosened and re-tightened the nut; all good.

Too bad I couldn't have done that one the fly, save the tow truck and the headache of being stuck on the road.