General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Honda Accord EX 2.4 Cranks but no spark

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 04:59 PM
Default 2004 Honda Accord EX 2.4 Cranks but no spark

I'm new to this forum but have owned several Hondas. My current Honda is a 2004 4dr Sedan EX with 2.4L engine. Last fall I drove the car just fine and parked it expecting to do some preventive maintenance on it. Never got around to it. I did put some Staybil in it. Over the winter I ordered a new blank FOB case. I took the key and chip out of the old one and put them into the new FOB case. Also put a new battery in it. So, a week or so ago I went out to move it into the shop and do the PM work. I had to replace the car battery. The car will not start. It cranks but will not start. I squirted a little Starting Fluid in the intake and that had no effect...still will not start or even try to fire. So, I could hear the fuel pump but the no fire with the starting fluid tells me it's not a fuel issue. I pulled #1 spark plug and grounded it, cranked but not spark. I read some obscure thread about swapping the ACC relay/Fuse (in the left drivers kick panel) and put that into the fuel relay? Name escapes me but its the black fuse/relay right below it. That made no change and the car still cranks but no spark. I can't believe this is too difficult and am thinking this is fairly simple, but....any ideas? I am willing to watch any video or go to any link if it would help. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 07-17-2020, 05:29 PM

Update folks, sorry I just noticed this...the green immobilizer light is blinking away and will not start. Ok, first is there a temporary immobilizer bypass technique? How do I get my FOB reprogrammed to the car? I live 4 hours away from the nearest Honda Dealer

Old 07-17-2020, 10:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I was going to say he immobile has to be activated. It seems that the swap did not take. Try putting it in neutral and starting it. Everything should start if you swapped the little chip over though. If you have the old case try putting it back. If it doesn't start then you may be out of luck and have to take it in to get a key made and programmed. It's only not starting because it's not seeing the chip if it worked prior to the swap. Programming the fob is irrelevant in this situation.

Old 07-18-2020, 12:59 AM

Try putting the old case together with the new one at the ignition switch to start . If it runs the chip is still in the old case as it's glued in deep and easy to miss.