General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Accord EX squealing when it is cold from the right side of car

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Default 2005 Accord EX squealing when it is cold from the right side of car

The last few months whenever I get in my car during the morning there is a squealing sound from the right front of the car (while sitting in the drivers seat). When you turn the wheel you can hear the squealing sound change. The sound goes away after the car is warmed up from driving, about 10 minutes. And this only happens when the weather is cold outside.

Upon inspection it seems like it is the belt assembly where the noise is coming from.

I have sprayed belt dressing on the belts and checked the power steering fluid.

Those do not seem to be the problem, at least from my trial and error

Help

Old 01-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

4-cyl? V-6?

Anyway, there's one big serpentine belt to drive everything. Maybe it's an idler pulley bearing or something like that? My 2003 was a 4-cyl engine, & it was pretty easy to remove the belt (spring-loaded tensioner). With the belt off, spin each pulley & look for something that doesn't spin very smoothly.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:08 AM

Mine does the very same thing: Sounds like the noise coming from the belt side of the engine (or wheel). Noise changes or stops when I jerk the wheel, except the squeal also changes pitch when I slightly push on the brake pedal and completely silences when I fully press the brake pedal (or when car itself is coming to a stop, idk which is triggering it)

I haven't messed with the belts yet, although I had planned on it after doing some research online. I will defiantly try spinning the pullys on top of changing the belt if it looks pretty worn.

I'll follow up if I figure out a definite cause/solution.

Thanks guys
\m/

Old 02-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Try to separate the brake pedal vs. the car coming to a stop.
From a slow speed, use the handbrake to stop.
Then after it's stopped, press the pedal hard then let up on it.
In each of these cases, what exactly does the noise do?

Old 03-01-2010, 12:25 PM

Im having the exact same problem. Its an '05 V6 ex. 4 dr. I bought the car in tx and had a friend drive it up to md. when i first got it in Nov i didnt have this problem or heard the noise but for the past maybe 3-4 weeks ive been hearing this noise. Its not much of a squeak as it is more of a whirr. Like some sort of electrical motor??? or something along those lines. whenever i turn the wheel to one side or the other it always sounds worse but once the car warms up in disappears. Also i just found this forum so sorry if i posted this in the wrong place. Please forgive.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Very likely 3 different noises here. Drive belts are on the right side of the car for all V-6 and for 2003+ 4-cyl Accords.

The belts themselves can squeal if they get old & hard & slippery.

Any of the accessory pulleys can have a bearing going bad, making a whooshing, spinning noise.

Darkness has a noise that acts on the brake pedal?? Maybe even something going on with the vacuum brake booster? Best thing any of you can do is try to pinpoint the location of the sound.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by darkness347
Mine does the very same thing: Sounds like the noise coming from the belt side of the engine (or wheel). Noise changes or stops when I jerk the wheel, except the squeal also changes pitch when I slightly push on the brake pedal and completely silences when I fully press the brake pedal (or when car itself is coming to a stop, idk which is triggering it)

I haven't messed with the belts yet, although I had planned on it after doing some research online. I will defiantly try spinning the pullys on top of changing the belt if it looks pretty worn.

I'll follow up if I figure out a definite cause/solution.

Thanks guys
\m/

Probably is your belt. Usually the reason the sound changes when you break/turn the wheel/accellerate and whatnot is because you're changing your engine RPM's and in turn changing the speed the belt is moving. That explains why sometimes it makes noise and sometimes it doesn't.

I'd check the belt like the above people said! Good luck!

Old 06-22-2014, 10:16 AM

I have heard the same noise at idle. Replaced the belt and the noise still exists. Once the motor is warm the noise goes away. Thinking it is a bearing in in one of the components there.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

May be the power steering o-ring.

Honda TSB 07-086