General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Accord is running hot when in traffic

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 04:36 PM
Default 2006 Accord is running hot when in traffic

Not sure if this post should be in the DIY section?

Well here goes...our 2006 Accord seems to be running hot when in slow-down traffic and occasionally it runs hot when running at 65mpg for example. But it oftentimes shows the high temp lessening. Mostly it runs hot (as indicated by the temp on dash board) when in slow traffic or sitting in traffic.

I did a Google search and came across Hondaaccordforums and see some suggestions offered by others. I am wondering if I should stop by the Honda dealer tomorrow on the way home from work and buy a radiator cap and a thermostat and install and see if this helps?

My Accord is close to 226K miles so perhaps replacing these is for good insurance. I sure hope I do not have a blown head gasket like someone posted. (Note my car has not reached the temp redline at any point). I ran out and test the car by turning on the AC and checked the 2 fans and they came on. I will remove rad cap when car cools down. But the reservoir shows the fluid is slightly above the lower mark but dunno how full the rad is.

Questions
- should the rad be full when car cools down?
-should I buy the rad coolant from Honda
-should I buy thermostat from Honda?

I've always bought quality products from Honda tho.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:54 PM

Welcome to the forum, Bluridge

You could certainly check with Honda on the proper coolant to use

Depending on a person's mechanical skill level, changing the thermostat is fairly simple. You may also want to consider a coolant system flush and replace with new anti-freeze

Running the AC can cause the engine temp to rise... when in an emergency situation, shut off the AC and run the heater to draw heat out of the system

Good luck... let us know how it turned out

Old 08-31-2015, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Honda radiators should always be full. NO AIR POCKETS.

A faulty radiator cap or a leaking hose over to the white plastic reservoir can allow air to be sucked in as it cools down. So it's good to check the actual radiator. But you can also hear & feel the difference by squeezing the radiator hoses when cold. Air pockets make a sloshing sound.

Radiator cap & T-stat from dealer aren't outrageously priced, so I guess I'd go with dealer parts.

I've used non-dealer antifreeze in the Hondas. Don't use DexCool. Prestone in the yellow bottle is hybrid-OAT which is good, as long as the bottle isn't 8 years old on the store shelf. Safest way to use non-Honda antifreeze is to rinse the system out very good so there isn't any old stuff mixed with the new.

Auto-trans fluid & steering fluid are the 2 places where factory fluids are important.