General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2007 Accord starter/ignition issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 09:33 AM
Default 2007 Accord starter/ignition issue

In March 2013 I replaced the starter in our 2007 Accord V6 and lately I've been experiencing intermittent problems with the starter/ignition again, so I am beginning to suspect this time its something other than the starter. The symptoms are:

1) turn the key, dash lights & indicators fully light, but the starter does not engage -- no clicks or noises other than fan noise or what appears to be the fuel pump.

2) at the same time, I notice the steering wheel is unlocked with key in or out of the ignition.

3) with key in the ignition, and turned to On position I or II, I cannot shift the auto transmission out of park...when this problem first surfaced about a week ago, I was able to eventually get the transmission from "Park" to "Neutral" and they turning the key started the car.

From reading prior forum posts, this may be either an ignition switch, key or related issue.

Seems like this is all interrelated with the ignition, steering wheel being unlocked, the starter, and transmission interlock. Note I can use the transmission interlock bypass to "unlock" the transmission gear position.

The latest occurrence is puzzling because up to this point I could eventually get the car to start but now nothing seems to work.

Any ideas and background info on the starter/steering wheel/transmission interlock would be appreciated.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:18 AM
cj1
Newest Of Newbies

" I was able to eventually get the transmission from "Park" to "Neutral" and they turning the key started the car".

If you can crank the engine each time without fail in neutral then the Park/Neutral switch is not mechanically positioned correctly in park or electrical contact is bad.

"Note I can use the transmission interlock bypass to "unlock" the transmission gear position".

Take a look at the electrical diagram for this. Maybe brake switch is normally used to unlock the transmission.