General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2007 Accord VP vibration - half shafts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 10:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2007 Accord VP vibration - half shafts?

My 07 Accord (4 door, 4 cyl, 5 speed) has a light vibration. Usually I feel it when doing 60-70 mph on an slight hill on the way home. It feels like it's in the front of the car. I've recently got new tires and that had no effect on the vibration. I can't tell if it changes with speed, since it usually happens when i'm in 5th gear going uphill, so the engine doesn't have much torque to speed up. If I let off the gas, it seems to go away.

Accord has 180k on it, and I've had it since 97k. I haven't replaced the half shafts or anything else on the car, but at a dealer oil change they wrote "needs new rt side axle" - of course, when I asked about this, no one at the dealership could explain how or why the tech thought this (I hate dealerships). I don't see any grease splatters.

Any ideas? Any info on how hard it is to replace half shafts? I'm recovering from a broken collarbone, so am not as strong or mobile as I usually am. Is this an easy job?

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2014, 06:35 AM
Almost A Senior Member

My 98 Accord did exactly the same as yours, vibration in the steering wheel, and sound at 50mph+. Turns out that it was the new Bridgstone Turanza tires that were the problem. They would vibrate for 2000 miles then it would go away, but vibrate again after I rotated them. So I went to once a year rotation (10,000 miles) and that cured the problem. Car was sold in January of this year, so I don't have more information.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:42 PM

Have you checked the motor mounts? It could very easily be a axel that is out of balance or a carrier bearing at the transmission, but if you had a tech recommend an axel I would take it back to the dealer and ask them to take another look at it and tell you why. Request this at no cost to you.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

I second the tire thing; when I bought my Accord it had new Mastercraft tires on it, and under power I could feel vibrations through the steering wheel. When I replaced the tires with a set of Michelin Primacys, the car suddenly got smooth as glass.