General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Starter Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Default 2007 Starter Question

I've noticed several times where I've jumped in the car in a hurry and turned the key only to hear a "click" or the starter start to turn but stop. I just simply let the key come back to the on position and turn it again and it starts immediately. Does anyone know if there is some kind of delayed safeguard in place that prevents the starter from turning over immediately? I'm wondering if the fuel pump has to build up so much pressure before allowing the car to start?

Thanks,

Scott

Old 03-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

No safety like that is built in.

Flaky ignition switch is one possibility.
Dirty/loose/corroded battery cables?
Loose starter signal wire on the starter? (that's the small wire -not bolted on)

Old 03-12-2010, 03:06 PM

Jim,
By "flaky" do you mean faulty? Cables look good but I will clean them up and put a little motor oil on them. I'll crawl under and check the starter wire and report. It has done it so regularly that I just assumed that is the way it is supposed to work! If I turn the key slowly to the on position and pause for a split second before turning to crank the starter it works flawlessly. Too quick and it doesn't start! Wanna get it fixed as it eventually may let me sit!! Thanks,

Scott

Old 03-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I meant faulty (intermittent). 2007 is a bit new for it to go bad, but wanted you to be aware that it's a known issue especially with heavy keychains.

Anyway, it's not any kind of intentional "feature" in the car. Still, it's better to pause a tiny bit rather that spinning the key right to START.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Whoa, wait a minute........
Oil or Grease on electrical connections is not a good idea.
Petroleum products act as insulators and do not conduct electric current.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:19 PM

Thanks Jim. No keychain at all with the Honda key. All connections and wires seem in good shape.

Hondadude,

Never knew that about electrical connections. Been doing that for years thinking it was eliminating any corrosion. Never had a problem but certainly don't want to create one! I'll just keep them clean from now on or I'm sure there is something on the market that conducts electricity and fights corrosion. thanks

Old 03-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Sure there are conductive greases, often times the parts store will name them Di-letric, it's sort of a misnomer.
Also consider that many times the battery terminals get corroded it can be caused by gasses leaking up from where the terminals enter the battery case.
So a heavy petroleum grease around that base part of the terminal will be helpful.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Electrically conducting grease exists, but kinda exotic & not really AUTOMOTIVE. It's used on power-distribution busbars. It's grease mixed together with copper shavings.

I used to put grease on battery posts, but once I had problem making contact. Now for corrosion I smear grease all over it AFTER it's bolted together.

You'll still find grease in certain electrical connectors. Generally that's where the socket has features that scrape down through the grease to make metal-to-metal contact. And someplace for the grease to go so it doesn't interfere with the conduction. The real purpose for the grease is to help moisture & corrosion, not to conduct electricity.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Dielectric is a fancy word for insulating. Dielectric grease does not conduct electricity at all, in fact it's a better insulator than normal regular grease.

Dielectric grease on your spark plug wires isn't supposed to be on the electrical terminals. It's supposed to go on the rubber boot so it doesn't get permanently stuck to the spark plug.