General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2008 V6 Accord Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 09:00 AM

As to the question posed about the difference in fluids, it has to do with fiction modifier additives in the factory Honda fluid. I can tell you from experience that using dextron will work temporarily, but loses potency quickly and will start slipping typically in 10k or less. If you stop driving the first time it gives symptoms you may be able to flush it with Honda DW1 and save it but if you tried to continue driving it, it will likely have roasted the clutches due to low pressure. There may be other fluids that will work, but they aren't going to be significantly cheaper or better so unless there simply isn't a Honda dealer local to you I would always use DW1.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by thericepatch
I'm not sure where you get your information shipo, I've been a Honda mechanic for over a dozen years. While I appreciate the evidence that every other aspect of this transmission is much more reliable than the previous design, the filter not being serviceable was the killer of the BMXA in the 01-05 civics and the BAXA in the 98-02 Accord. I've rebuilt dozens of each of those, and can tell you a serviceable filter is the ideal, which is why I install an inline in any Honda that doesn't have a serviceable filter from the factory.
I would challenge you that the filter is the weak point. I have no doubt you discovered a clogged filter when you rebuilt the transmission, but as a general rule, the filter was a victim of the transmission failure, not the other way around.

Old 01-26-2020, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
I would challenge you that the filter is the weak point. I have no doubt you discovered a clogged filter when you rebuilt the transmission, but as a general rule, the filter was a victim of the transmission failure, not the other way around.
I understand that you disagree with my assessment, though you have stated no reason to. Ultimately it was a cyclical problem between clutch wear and filter clogging, but if you can stop one with a serviceable filter it would slow the other. The transmissions finally stopped because of a lack of fluid pressure in almost every case which was due to the clogged filter. When they came in you could pull the return line loose and it would barely dribble fluid, tear them down and rebuild, no clogs except the filter. The fact is wear is inevitable, thus stuff in the fluid which is caught by the filter is inevitable and doesn't drain out with the fluid. I wouldn't change my oil without changing the filter though there are less wear items in the motor than the transmission. Ultimately though, you are welcome to your opinion where or not you can provide any evidence to back it up.

Old 01-26-2020, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

I understand that you disagree with my assessment, though you have stated no reason to. Ultimately it was a cyclical problem between clutch wear and filter clogging, but if you can stop one with a serviceable filter it would slow the other. The transmissions finally stopped because of a lack of fluid pressure in almost every case which was due to the clogged filter. When they came in you could pull the return line loose and it would barely dribble fluid, tear them down and rebuild, no clogs except the filter. The fact is wear is inevitable, thus stuff in the fluid which is caught by the filter is inevitable and doesn't drain out with the fluid. I wouldn't change my oil without changing the filter though there are less wear items in the motor than the transmission. Ultimately though, you are welcome to your opinion where or not you can provide any evidence to back it up.
I am not sure why you think filtration will prevent clutch wear, the fact is, the filter gets clogged from clutch material, most often due to lack of maintenance or by the use of incorrect ATF formulations. I stand by my argument, the lifetime filter was not why many BAXA transmissions failed.

FWIW, I had a BAXA in my Accord, after 200,000 miles (with regular ATF changes with Honda ATF), it was still operating perfectly well when I donated the car a little over a year ago.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:33 AM

I am not sure why you think filtration will prevent clutch wear, the fact is, the filter gets clogged from clutch material, most often due to lack of maintenance or by the use of incorrect ATF formulations. I stand by my argument, the lifetime filter was not why many BAXA transmissions failed.

FWIW, I had a BAXA in my Accord, after 200,000 miles (with regular ATF changes with Honda ATF), it was still operating perfectly well when I donated the car a little over a year ago.
It's good to hear that you properly maintained your Accord and donated it, you are correct that many don't maintain them and it is a contributing factor. Honestly though, we are talking about Honda, not Ford, 200k is the average life of one of the BAXA and BMXA not the average life of a Honda. I understand your perspective just understand it is short sighted if your are basing it on one car that made it to 200k. I've been repaired and reselling these cars for a dozen years, there are a few that last until 220-250 and occasionally one that will go longer, but the car will last for 400k plus and the other transmissions will last that long as well. Regular maintenance is a key factor, but the fact is if the transmission filter had been serviceable most of those transmissions would make it to 250-300 but don't have the chance because the filters clog.
As to why I think filtration will prevent clutch wear, I already started that it has to do with the restricting fluid pressure from the clogged filter. When the pressure is lower then less pressure is applied to the clutches allowing them to slip which causes further wear which causes further clogs.
At this point I will rest my case: I have a dozen years of experience with hundreds of these cars, many of which I have rebuilt the transmissions on after diagnosed. If you want to base your opinion on one car that only made it to 200k miles and your limited experience with it you are welcome to, I simply agree to disagree with you.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Ahhh, what you don't know is I'm an engineer and have worked as forensic engineer for three different makers. True, I only used one car in my example; but I've been hands on in the lab for thousands of failures.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:40 AM

Ahhh, what you don't know is I'm an engineer and have worked as forensic engineer for three different makers. True, I only used one car in my example; but I've been hands on in the lab for thousands of failures.
Well, I knew by your approach that you were an engineer I was simply asking you to give me your credentials. Thank you for finally doing so, though you stated that you worked for three different manufactures, was one of them Honda? I know thier transmissions are much different engineering from any other car manufacturer that I'm aware of.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I knew by your approach that you were an engineer I was simply asking you to give me your credentials. Thank you for finally doing so, though you stated that you worked for three different manufactures, was one of them Honda? I know thier transmissions are much different engineering from any other car manufacturer that I'm aware of.
No, never worked for Honda, that said, while different manufacturers employ different designs and methods of internal control; the basics apply to all manufacturers. Said another way, they are more alike then they are not.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:10 AM

No, never worked for Honda, that said, while different manufacturers employ different designs and methods of internal control; the basics apply to all manufacturers. Said another way, they are more alike then they are not.
Again, said like a true engineer. I appreciate your input and your different perspective on the matter shipo. Good discussion.

Old 07-14-2021, 09:25 PM
Default This sucks

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread but it left an unanswered question. The 8th gen transmission filter is a canister type that is unfortunately located behind the torque converter thus requiring transmission removal to access. I don't pretend to know why the engineers decide that was a good idea, but I use an inline filter from the 4 cylinder model inserted in the cooler line.
so I guess the transmission filter wasn't meant to ever be changed hmmm 🤔 ..I thought I'd try adulting and being economical buying an 08 Accord over a 06 3 series BMW but the way this car drives bores me to death.. I'm here because my transmission feels to shift pretty rough..and I noticed it during my test drive but still bought it.. Oops!
I paid 4K for a 2008 Honda accord EX-L V6 and the rear bumpers paint is all messed up flaking because of previous owners rear end accident.. 220,000 miles.