General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Accord LX power steering whine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:40 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2009 Accord LX power steering whine?

Hello all. I have an Accord LX, 4 Cyl. 2.4 L 4 door sedan with 41K miles on it. Bought it used from a honda dealership about a month ago. There is a whine coming from the engine compartment that sounds like the ps pump. When I turn the car on for cold start, it whines pretty loud. After a couple minutes of warm up time, the whine dissipates a LITTLE, but is still there, especially if i turn the steering wheel left or right. What can I do? Is this considered a warranty issue? If anyone knows or has experienced this same issue, i would appreciate a solution!! Thanks!!

Old 03-25-2011, 06:46 AM

TrinDawg38,
I had a similar issue on my 04 V6 accord. I'm assuming the power steering pumps have not changed that much but I may be wrong. Mine would whine continuously and deminish slightly after the car was warm. I found that the issue was with the O-rings on the intake side of the power steering pump (hose from resevior to pump). The O-rings are under $5 and are easy to replace. The whining ocurred because the O-ring wasn't making a good seal and sucking a slight amount of air into the pump. Took me 10 minutes to change. I think there are two 10mm bolts to remove. Make sure you use a rag to catch any power steering fluid (should be minimal).

Old 03-25-2011, 06:52 AM
Default whine

orifice valve is in high pressure power steering line. there is a slight bulge in the line near the intake. sometimes those are the cause. have to replace the high pressure line to fix. Try putting your hand around it. Its near intake about 2 feet away from pump.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Default Same problem

I have the same whine and people think Im crazy. 2009 Accord 2.4 cyl EX 39k miles. I took it back and the service dept started up 2 other cars and they do the same thing. He said no one has complained- yeah right. It annoys me to no end.....I got rid of a 99 accord with no noises!

Originally Posted by TrinDawg38
Hello all. I have an Accord LX, 4 Cyl. 2.4 L 4 door sedan with 41K miles on it. Bought it used from a honda dealership about a month ago. There is a whine coming from the engine compartment that sounds like the ps pump. When I turn the car on for cold start, it whines pretty loud. After a couple minutes of warm up time, the whine dissipates a LITTLE, but is still there, especially if i turn the steering wheel left or right. What can I do? Is this considered a warranty issue? If anyone knows or has experienced this same issue, i would appreciate a solution!! Thanks!!