General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 Honda Tranny Problem Question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:28 AM
Default 92 Honda Tranny Problem Question.

I have a 1992 Honda Accord EX with some strange things happening with the tranny. One day it shifts just fine and then all of the sudden I have to put it in First gear myself and then when I shift it up on slot it doesn't shift until I go up one more gear.

And yes I am talking about an automatic tranny here. It does funny things on the dash also. The "D" for drive is lite up and if I happen to have it in like 2nd gear the "D" will be lite up and the 2nd gear light will be lite up also.

When I start up from a complete stop when I take off it's like it's trying to take off in like 2nd or 3rd gear. It acts like it's slipping really bad. It acts like it only has 2 gears it's using and I'm not to sure which ones it's using for sure.

If I pull it all the way back to the first gear it takes off just like it's supposed to. Then if I push it up one notice it doesn't shift at all. Then I click it up one more notice and it will shift then. One more notice or click up and it will shift again.

I got 2 new computers from the wrecking yard with all the correct numbers and that didn't change a single thing at all. Now yesterday I got into the car and it's shifting like a brand new car again without a single problem at all.

Ya never know when it's going to do this again. The first time it did it to me I had to hand shift it for about 6 months and then all of the sudden it started shifting like normal again.

It worked fine for about 8 months and just the other day it started it again but it didn't do it for very long this time before it fixed itself again.

Now I'm just waiting for it to do it again. It seems to me to be something to do with the electrical system but don't have any for sure Idea what the heck is going on.

Any help from you guys would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Davis
Salem, Oregon

Old 03-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest checking for transmission codes as problem sounds electrical in nature. See DIY forum for procedure to extract Check Engine Codes. Same procedure but D4 light will blink the codes.

good luck

Old 03-19-2012, 10:29 PM

Sounds all good except for one Important thing. I don't know how to do any of these things you are suggesting for me to do.

Thanks anyway.

Mike

Old 03-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Open the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum. Click on the link for checking engine codes.

Follow the writeup in that link. The only difference is that you count the D4 light flashes instead of the check engine light flashes described in the writeup.

Post what you find on here.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:43 AM

Sorry for being so new at this and not knowing what you are talking about. Like what does OPEN THE COMMON DIY THREAD MEAN?

And on top of Gen Tech help Forum mean? I have a 92 honda accord so I have no where to plug anything into. I must have to have to hook up some kind of wires to something to get lights to flash I guess.

Again sorry for not knowing what you are talking about. Maybe I'll figure it out some day.................lol.

Thanks.

Mike

Old 03-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
Old 03-21-2012, 10:12 AM

You can take it to an auto parts house like Autozone or ORileys and they will read the codes for you and let you know what they are.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LS-300
You can take it to an auto parts house like Autozone or ORileys and they will read the codes for you and let you know what they are.
From what I have "heard", they won't jump the connector on OBD-I systems. If they can't "plug and play", they will walk away.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Ignore the post about going to autozone. Your car is too old for autozone to check for codes.

Thanks poorman for providing the direct link.