General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Manual Honda Accord Air Conditioner Lagging

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Default 2009 Manual Honda Accord Air Conditioner Lagging

I have test driven both a manual 2009 Honda Accord EX Sedan and 2009 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe.

In both cars I noticed a momentary lag of the air conditioner while I would shift aggressively or drop in the clutch. By "lag" I mean there would be a noticeable temperature rise in the AC while shifting gears or with the clutch engaged.

Is this a common condition within the Accord family? I have driven 3 manuals throughout my life and never encountered this before. During the second test drive (Accord Coupe), the dealer told me this is a new feature introduced by Honda to control the AC compressor when there is not adequate power from the flywheel, as in shifting or engaging the clutch.

Can someone please respond if this is in fact true about the new accords. At this point, I am nervous regarding these purchases, even though both are "Certified Pre-Owned".

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

I think it's fairly common in a lot of car companies. Not to dis Honda, but I don't think it's some kind of magical rocket-science invention that ONLY HONDA has.

AC is interrupted when you have your foot into the gas pedal. The way I notice this happenning is if I'm accelerating fast, every time I lift (to shift gears) the AC tries to run but only has a moment before it cuts out again. There's enough residual pressure in the AC system so the warm surge doesn't get to you for a few seconds.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:33 AM

Thank you for the information. My brother is very knowledgeable with car mechanics and although he was unfamiliar with a car performing this way, he did tell me it was a sign of a good car mechanics. Controlling the compressor when there is not enough belt driven power will prevent future overuse and wear and tear.

Too bad there is the noticeable "drop" in air temperature though.