General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2014 Honda Accord Hybrid revs too high

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 02:48 PM
Default 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid revs too high

Does anyone else have a new Accord Hybrid? We have had ours for two weeks and two days ago the engine starts reving pretty high when it switches to the gasoline engine, approx 2,500-3,000 RPMs is my guesstimate. Typical scenario is pulling out of driveway onto road which has gentle slope. Car switches from EV to gas and at 15-20 mph the engine is over reving to about 2,500-3,000 RPMs at steady speed. Has happened everytime in slow moving traffic when it switches out of EV.

Took it to dealer, service manager says " Ive never driven one so I cant tell you if its normal or not." What!!! "I'll have to wait until we get one on the lot so I can drive it to compare it". What a waste of time at that dealer. Has anyone heard of this anomaly yet? I'm sure Honda must have troubleshooters/experts on this hybrid system that a tech can call for help. My buddy used to fly all around for Lexus troubleshooting weird problems.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

There is a service bulletin (TSB #13-102) regarding an E-VTC (electric variable timing control) software update for the 2014 Accord Plug-in. It doesn't specifically stated anything like what you described; but, there is a possibility it may be related.

The bulletin states in part, "In rare instances, the PGM-FI software may allow conditions that cause damage to the E-VTC (electric variable timing control) actuator. This software update will prevent such damage from occurring... All owners of affected vehicles will be sent a notification of this campaign."

You may want to check whether your car already has this software update done prior to you receiving the car or whether may need to be installed on your car.