General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 of 4 power windows stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 09:00 AM
jrberton
Unregistered
Default 3 of 4 power windows stopped working

I have a 1998 Honda Accord. Three of the four windows are not moving up or down. The left rear window was open a few inches and it rained so I'm thinking that may have something to do with it. Maybe something got wet? None of the three work either on the driver door switches or with the individual switch at each door. The driver window works fine. I checked the fuses and they seem OK. 1) What is the problem? 2) How can I roll up the one window until I figure what's wrong? Thanks!

Old 05-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Newest Of Newbies

It's strange that your driver window is still working... could it be that the power window lock switch is engaged... you know the one that prevents your passengers from operating their windows? That would produce the symptoms you have. Or there could be a problem with that switch. I doubt that water getting into one of the rear windows would cause all three to stop working.

If you really need to get that window up now you could manually connect 12 volts to the wiring harness that connects to the switch. You'd have to remove the door panel and disconnect the switch, then jam some wires into the harness. If the window starts going down then just reverse the wires and it should go up.

I don't know how experienced you are with troubleshooting electrical systems, but you might want to know that in most power window setups the individual window switches are grounded through the driver door switch block. Disconnecting the driver window switches will disable all of the other windows... so you might want to investigate the driver door first.

hope this helps...

Old 05-03-2009, 12:49 PM
jrberton
Unregistered
Default I'm embarassed!

That's exactly what happened! I must have accidently hit the switch somehow. Jeez, I never use that switch, that's why I didn't suspect that was the problem. Thanks!

Old 05-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

LOL, that exact same thing happened to me when my 95 Integra was about a month old. Happened on the weekend so the dealer wasn't open. I was all ready to take the door panel off (on a brand-new car).

Old 05-16-2010, 05:55 AM
Newest Of Newbies

lol... happened to me once with my 88 accord several years ago but my switch was broken off when i got the car, but yeah, reminds me of the older hondas and the fact that you have to hold the driver door handle while hitting the lock button or the driver door wont lock. ive purchased a 94 integra, 90 and 91 accord that the seller thought it was broken.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:58 AM

wait...I am having the same problem, 3 windows are dead. My Power Window Lock is ON. "most power window setups the individual window switches are grounded through the driver door switch block". Could you be a little more specific about how the Drivers door switch block is grounded? Is the ground a wire to the body or ground through the door hinges?

One other issue is that my radio antenna is dead; all fuses are good, checked each one with Volt/Ohm meter. This tell me something else might be the problem, no power to the rear antenna.

I was thinking about hot wiring a Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) switch and put a Universal Starter Button somewhere and just permanently hot wire the drivers side window. My kids are grown, so I drive mostly alone. But non-working/closed windows, not a good way to fly. eh?

Old 05-17-2010, 10:22 AM

guess this thread is dead, see ya.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

If my memory is correct there are two ground wires connecting the drivers door window switch block to the chassis. One ground wire is for the drivers window. The other ground wire is for the other 3 windows and is connected through that "window disable" switch.

When the switch is engaged all the windows work... when the switch is flipped the ground is disconnected and only the driver's window works.

I did the work on my windows over a year ago so this is as best i can remember. Hope it helps...

Old 06-25-2010, 10:13 PM

same thing happened in my 91 integra. forgetting to see that the switch is on and than working on everything trying to figure out the problem. was a real trip.