General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5th gen accord help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 5th gen accord help!!!

My car doesn't get hot............I know this is not a bad thing, but hear me out. My car will warm up, I get really good, almost hot air when I have the heat cranked. But the cooling fan doesn't turn on, almost never, seriously. And I know it works because I've run the car and gotten her pretty warm then parked it and after about 30 seconds of sitting the fan turned on, with the engine off and the key removed. I've replaced the thermostat thinking that the old one could have been stuck open but I still can't get that darn fan to turn on. I let it sit and idle for 45minutes one time just to see if it would turn on. It didnt. I need to get this fixed so I can set my base idle. Plus it's been in the negatives all week long up here in Minnesota which takes the car even longer to warm up. Anybody have any ideas on what's goin on?

Last edited by dasundqu; 01-26-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Did you use a thermostat purchased from the Honda dealership?

Is the temperature gauge getting close to the normal operating temperature? Is this just happening in the winter, or also in the summer?

Does heat still blow out of the vents when this is happening?

If you start up the car and turn on the a/c, do both fans turn on?

Old 01-26-2013, 11:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thermostat is from O'reillys
The needle stays right between the middle of the heat gauge an the lower end(the first 1/4 of the gauge)
It does this all year round
Heat blows whenever I have the heat turned on as the car always runs at this temp
Both fans turn on when AC is on

Old 01-27-2013, 10:42 AM

Well, I can tell you your fan is probably working properly. It's been cold (mid-20s) but not that cold out here in Washington and I replaced my radiator last week, didn't plug the lead for one of my fans back in and the temp gauge jumped from ~3/8 to 7/8 after running the car for a little while. My fans never turn on when the car is off though, and I've spent hours under my car after driving hard. It might be turning on when the car isn't idling, but most likely with that low of an ambient temperature you would need to just figure out the thermostat engagement temperature and run a thermometer into your coolant somehow.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Could be thermo A is out....Do you have an IFR temp reader or a volt meter that can read temps?

Pull the connector off thermo A - the green plug on the t-stat housing. Use a paper clip or something to jump the wire side of that connector, turn the key to "on". Do BOTH fans come on?