General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

83 Accord valve removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 11:26 PM
Default 83 Accord valve removal

Hey everybody. So I'm in the middle of replacing the valve stem seals on my EK1. I have the head laying on the coffee table, rockers all out, and I'm embarrassed to say the retainer clips have me baffled. I have a spring compressor, I've compressed the spring on one valve enough that I can slide the entire assembly up and down in the valve guide, but I can't figure out how to actually get the valve loose. I had a Chilton's manual which sucked, and which I then lost, and now I have a Hayne's which also does not explain how to remove the valves in greater detail than "now remove the valves".

(In fact, the incredible lack of any info on the 83 Accord or the EK1 engine itself bothers me - doesn't anybody drive these things? Did I buy a lemon, forgotten by time? : 3)

Here's a photo of the top of the valve. Of course I can see the principle here (I think); there's basically a big washer on top of the valve with a lip transferring the force to two clips slotted into the valve stem, but I can't for the life of me get that washer to move relative to the valve. Like I said, I have the spring compressed plenty so there should be no pressure on it, but I've been trying to get a tool in there to pry the parts apart and get to the clips with no luck. Am I just totally missing something here?

Any help appreciated. Anybody who's actually torn one of these apart and can tell me what the hell I'm doing will have my everlasting gratitude.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:50 PM

Never mind, I got them out! Turns out it was just friction. Put a wooden block under the valve and smacked the spring compressor and it popped the top plate loose. Now I just have to get the stem seals out.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:30 AM

Alright, new problem. In the process of trying to remove the valve seal I appear to have snapped the top of the valve guide right off. I have no idea how to proceed here. Are these replaceable, if so do I need to go to a machine shop? Should I just grab a new head at the junkyard?

Old 01-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Ouch...yes-they can be replaced, yes-a machine shop would need to do it, yes-a bone yard would be an option or check online for one already rebuilt(?)....then weigh all of the costs, your budget and plans for the car and pick the best option.