General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 LXi AC Controls & Blower Problems, Fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 87 LXi AC Controls & Blower Problems, Fuse?

ORIGINAL: tara76034

I grounded the low pressure switch and the fan and compressor both came on. Low on freon charge?
That is most likely explanation. You need to find and repair leaks, replace receiver/drier, vacuum & recharge. You will need an AC manifold gauge set and a vacuum pump. Are you going to stay w/ R12? I posted a set of instructions for repair/vacuum/recharge. If you can't find, I'll email you a copy.

regards

Old 07-14-2007, 08:34 AM

Staying with R12. Is 34 oz. right? I've got the gauges, the system shows 5 psi right now. I've vacuumed and repaired an R134 system before, using dye for leak detection, but how do you do it on R12 system? Can I get flourescent dye in liquid form and pull it into the system when under vacuum? Or do you fill it with air, since I don't know where to get nitrogen.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:46 PM

See my post https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_65187/tm.htm. This has details of what you should do. R134a w/ dye is way to go, however evaporator leaks may not show up.

good luck

Old 07-14-2007, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the post, very informative. I wasn't sure I could use the 134 dye in an R12 system. Is 34 oz. right for the capacity? Haven't been able to confirm it anywhere.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:11 PM

The R134a w/ dye is only for leak detection. You should not run the AC except very briefly as necessary to get into the system. One can would be enough. Note, use R134a w/ dye is based on removing and draining compressor and evaporator, replacing receiver/drier, and blowing out the condensor.

good luck

Old 07-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: TexasHonda

If blower motor won't run, the AC compressor won't engage.
good luck
Not true ,, you can have a perfectly working cold a/c but you won't feel any air coming from the inside vents if blower motor will not run .you got nothing to circulate air flow
the only way that that statement would be true is if there is an issue with the ground path at the fan switch ..but if it is just a bad blower motor a/c system will still work,,the only way a/c would not work is if there are 2 separate problems
Tara 34oz is way too much freon .28 oz will do . i would only put 16 oz in and some dye, run system and chk for leaks , if you have a leak i rather waste 16 oz then the full 28 oz ,
if with freon in system still does not work , let us know ,

Old 07-15-2007, 08:33 AM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

good luck
Not true ,, you can have a perfectly working cold a/c but you won't feel any air coming from the inside vents if blower motor will not run .you got nothing to circulate air flow
the only way that that statement would be true is if there is an issue with the ground path at the fan switch ..but if it is just a bad blower motor a/c system will still work,,the only way a/c would not work is if there are 2 separate problems
Tara 34oz is way too much freon .28 oz will do . i would only put 16 oz in and some dye, run system and chk for leaks , if you have a leak i rather waste 16 oz then the full 28 oz ,
Blower motor switch disables the AC in same manner as AC switch, Hi-Lo pressure switch and thermostat. Any of these open, disables the compressor (indirectly by informing the ECU that system is not ready(low/hi pressure)or not requested (AC switch off). Only way I could see for compressor to run w/ blower off, is if there is a wiring short providing ground to the AC switch circuit while blower switch is OFF. This however would not be a normal functioning system.

Regards

Old 07-15-2007, 09:02 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

good luck
Blower motor switch disables the AC in same manner as AC switch, Hi-Lo pressure switch and thermostat.

Regards
the blower motor switch does,, but not the blower motor itself,, the blower motor switch ( fan speed switch ) when turned on, it provides a ground path for the a/c system , if switch is no good ( no ground supply ) I am totally in agreement with you that the a/c system will not engage .....but if you got a faulty blower motor ( just the motor ) that does not work, a/c will still work,
try this.. start the car, turn the a/c on and unplug the connector at blower motor then come back and tell me the results,

Old 07-15-2007, 09:41 AM

I agree an open blower motor would allow compressor to run.

I've found that crow is best when eaten fresh.

regards