General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 Accord DX auto trans question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 02:23 AM
Default 89 Accord DX auto trans question

Hi,
I have an 89 accord DX 4 door, auto trans, 133k and I am wondering if the trans has an overdrive.

When I am driving down the highway in high gear, the trans seems to go into an over drive between 45 and 55 mph. I can feel it lock up and see the rpg drop on the tach. At this speed I can press the throttle slightly to keep up with traffic or to go over a slight incline and feel the trans go in and out of overdrive or something. The best description I can give is that is just kind of wanders in and out at those speeds.

The car runs great and no problems and was just tuned up. . Also, the trans shifts normally with no problems and no oil leaks.

Does the trans have an overdrive or is it slipping or something.

Thanks

Old 02-11-2007, 04:16 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 89 Accord DX auto trans question

I am not sure what it is, but I owned an 88 DX Coupe Auto for about a year, and it did the same thing, so I wouldnt be too worried about it....but I am sure someone on here will know exactly what it is...and I am curious to know myself.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

That sounds about normal, the trans is going in and out of ' Torque Converter Lockup' and you should see about a 300 RPM difference on the tach. You can probably feel it more in an older car because of the little extra slop in the differential and inner CV joints.
No big deal.
The shift point is controlled by the pressure lever cable that goes from the throttle to the lever on the front of the trans.
The normal adjustment 'drive test' is as such;
Drive along a level road under light throttle at 25 MPH and floor the gas, the trans should down shift to first gear.
Repeat the same drive at 28MPH, and floor the gas , the trans should downshift to second gear.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:15 AM

my 92 accord does the same thing, it meanders in and out of overdrive at highway speed. mine has 195k on it and other than that the trans is fine.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:12 AM

Thanks guys

Nice to hear it’s normal wear and tear. The car is in pretty good shape with no problems and cvc joint noise at all. The ' Torque Converter Lockup' sounds about what it’s doing. It’s just irritating is all.

HONDADUDE Thanks for the test procedure, but what do I do if it fails the test?

Another question
I have is in my Chilton’s manual under throttle control cable adjustment it says “”The shift/lock up characteristics can be tailored to the driver’s expectations by adjusting the control cable up to 0.11 shorter then the synchronization point.”

Can you explain exactly what they mean by that.

Thanks