General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'89 Accord newbie gas mileage/starting question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Default '89 Accord newbie gas mileage/starting question...

Hey all, just acquired a 1989 Accord LX with 76,000 miles on her. My question/gripe is this:

My last car was an '89 Nissan Sentra 5 speed and that sucker ran on air. I mean, it was really, really, good on gas.

My new Accord LX is carbureted and it appears to be just ok on gas. I was expecting something maybe a little bit more thrifty when it came to gas usage. Most of my driving is city driving and I understand the Accord is a heavier car with more whistles and bells than the old Sentra.

What kind of mileage should I realistically expect from my '89 Accord?
I drive conservatively (no more speed demon in me) so shouldn't that account for something? Are there any adjustments I can make to the car to get it to squeeze every last bit of fuel? (Gas in CA is nearing the $4 mark..)

Also, what is the proper procedure for starting a carbureted motor on a cold morning? Do I pump the gas pedal? Friends of mine say that is the time when it uses the most gas. Is this true?

Sorry for the long post, any help would kindly be appreciated.

peace all,

mcs32jr1968

Old 01-24-2011, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

A tuneup will help. Replace spark plugs, distributor cap, distributor rotor, and air filter if they are due (or you don't know when they were changed). Check tire pressure and fill to the specified psi recommended in the owner's manual and should be on a sticker in the door jamb (usually 32 psi, but check to be sure).

Most members, including myself, are not familiar with a carb and how to service it so it will run efficiently. I know that poorman212 has owned accords with a carb of the 89 vintage, so he will hopefully chime in about that.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

PA-Thanks...me and my 3rd gen's....still love em.

OP-Before doing any carb adjustments. Start with the items already listed, if you just got it you don't really know when they were done last and you need to at least set a "base line". I'll add there are two fuel filters on these. I only use NGK plugs in mine (personal pref, they were the OE plug). From there add a can of your favorite carb cleaner to the tank (yes I use SeaFoam-some in the tank, some thru a vac line). Then give us some idea of the "per tank MPG"...you never did give us that. Also a good visual inspection of the vac lines under the hood....

This one is for free (but they all are, now I know why I'm poor)- #7 vac line (if you still have the OE numbering) at the back/bottom of the carb, be sure it is not broke just as it connects to the base of the carb.....this line seems to "burn" just as it connects to the base of the carb. 3 of 3 of the 3rd gens I've have/had, this line burned/broke, drove me crazy the first time. The next two were a breeze.

Cold start, one pump/push to the floor and let off. Crank her up.

Sorry for the long answer, I really like the 3rd gens so I go overboard.

EDIT-Find out about the T-Belt, you are over due on age.

Last edited by poorman212; 01-24-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:40 PM
Default thanks all...

hey PA and Poorman...

thanks for the help...I am in the process of going through the car to set up a "baseline", albeit slowly due to budget restrictions...

right now I am checking out the car's mpg on regular 87 octane. I will write back with my results....

do most 3rd gen carbureted models shiver/shake on a cold morning before warm up and during idle? motor mounts appear to be ok...

she tends to shiver until I get her warmed up...something new compared to my old f.i. sentra...

thanks in advance for all of your help/suggestions...

peace,

mcs32jr1968

Old 01-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies

My 89 LX seems to shake when I come to a stop, its done this as long as I can remember, if I put it in Nuetral it stops same when I give it a little gas but if I am pressing on the brakes in Drive it shakes the steering wheel and dash. I believe the motor mounts have been replaced or are good.

This is my first car I've been driving it since Nov. '10. So far I've replaced Air and fuel filters. Had to replace the old fuel pump, oil changed, radiator flushed, front brake pads. Did this all myself still going down the check list.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

"mcs32jr1968"- first, stay with 87 octane. That is what it was designed for. Low miles on yours (my 3rd gens start at @ 190K and go up from there) but age on rubber is just as bad. So double check the mounts. From there some of the "tune up" items might/should help with the cold start issues.

Can't remember, I think George was doing a trans fluid change(?)-mcs32jr1968, you might want to add that to the list.