General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 accord starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 02:34 PM
applewart
Unregistered
Default 89 accord starting problems

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and I hope you can help me.. My problem is that sometimes my Accord will not start. 5 minutes later it fires up and runs like a brand new one. I have searched threads on this site and have come to the conclusion that I might have a bad MAIN RELAY. The problem is that I cant find it. My manual does not show a location for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Default RE: 89 accord starting problems

is the not starting heat related at all or just completely random? when it doesn't start does it make any noise at all? I believe that the main relay is an almost square looking little box attached under your hood to the firewall... but that may not be the issue..

Old 08-08-2006, 03:40 PM
applewart
Unregistered

the car will turn over but not start. It ts very random when it happens. Once it starts you can turn it off and it will sart right up. It does seem to happen when it is hot outside. I cant remember it not cranking ay night. Thanks

Old 08-08-2006, 03:51 PM

THE MAIN RELAY THAT YOU ARE REFERING TO IS MAINLY 1990 AND NEWER, THE 1989 AND OLDER I BELIEVE DOES NOT HAVE A MAIN RELAY FOR THIS, ALSO IS THIS A CARB CAR OR FULE INJECTED IT MAKE A SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE WHEN TRYING TO TROUBLESHOOT.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:24 PM
applewart
Unregistered

It is fuel injected. After looking at a master thread on here it says that when the ignition switch is turned to the on position, the relay should click once which it does. then the check engine light will go out with a second click. I am NOT getting that second click. The car will then not start. Ive been fooling with it all day and just cant get to where that click is coming from/

Old 08-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: applewart

It is fuel injected. After looking at a master thread on here it says that when the ignition switch is turned to the on position, the relay should click once which it does. then the check engine light will go out with a second click. I am NOT getting that second click.
That's the classic sign of a bad main relay. On 89s it is way up under the left side of the dash.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: incountry

THE MAIN RELAY THAT YOU ARE REFERING TO IS MAINLY 1990 AND NEWER, THE 1989 AND OLDER I BELIEVE DOES NOT HAVE A MAIN RELAY FOR THIS, ALSO IS THIS A CARB CAR OR FULE INJECTED IT MAKE A SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE WHEN TRYING TO TROUBLESHOOT.

if it is injected it has a main relay......like Chio said it is located under left side of dash by the kick panel,, it has a white connector plugged into it ,with 7 or 8 wires

Old 08-09-2006, 01:12 AM
William89Accord
Unregistered

I also have an 89 Accord and was having similar problems with starting untill eventually it never started switched out the MAIN RELAY and it instantly started !
Here is a step by step guide with pictures on the location of the MAIN RELAY How to replace a Honda Relay
You will defintily need a long socket extension ! Have Fun

Old 08-09-2006, 03:07 AM
applewart
Unregistered

I appreciate th help guys. I kinda cheated and left the relay in place. I disconnected it and remounted the new one.