New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

1991 ACCORD STARTING PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 12:19 PM
MRMASON
Unregistered
Default 1991 ACCORD STARTING PROBLEMS

I recently purchased a 1991 Accord for my son and I cant get it to start. I have checked the Main relay(got the 3 clicks). I have had the battery tested, and starter tested. There is a new alternator in it also. I turn the key and nothing. I dont hear the click of the starter at all. I was wondering if anyone has had this issue. I was told to try to push start it. Does this make sense? Is there a way to test the electrical connection to the starter? Thank you.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:19 AM
Default RE: 1991 ACCORD STARTING PROBLEMS

When you turn the key do all the dash lights and radio and other stuff come on or is just like turn the key and absolutely nothing? Does the fuel pump turn on, like a humming from the back of the car when the key is turned? What people mean about push starting is (this only applies to manual transmission) somebody sits in the driver seat with the car in neutral while somebody else is pushing the car from behind. Once the car is up to speed a little, the person in the car turns the key to the on position (not the start position), puts the car in second gear and dumps the clutch. This gets the engine turning without the aid of the starter. BUT make sure the rest of the electronics are working before you do this or you might end up pushing the car up a hill. Oh, and make sure to let the guy who is pushing to stop pushing before you drop the clutch, I have seen teeth lying on the back of some peoples trunk because of this.
Also, check out the DIY section on this forum for more help, I think there is a post that says something like 'car not starting'. I think its in there somewhere.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:15 PM
MRMASON
Unregistered
Default RE: 1991 ACCORD STARTING PROBLEMS

Yes lights, everything comes on. Turn the key and I can hear the clicks from the relays and what I believe is the fuel pump coming on for about 2 seconds. I dont hear the clicks from the solenoid. Thanks for all of the information. I checked out the section about "car not starting". Its helpful but I was just wondering if anyone had something quicker. Its probably the ignition or something. Thanks for the information I appreciate any ideas.
MrMason