General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 accord ex tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Rolla
Unregistered
Default 90 accord ex tranny problem

I need some help. I got a transmission problem. The "s" light comes on and stays on. Only have 3rd and reverse and sometimes 2nd. I could not get it to code by jumping the wires. I got a remanufactured TCM. Put it in and it shifted great for about 5 miles. Went back to doing the same thing. Also, I forgot, the shift lock will not release during this. I ohmed out the solenoids and all four were right at 22 ohms each. I contacted the place I got the TCM and he recommended I start out by disconnecting the battery. I did this and drove about 25 miles with no problems. Shut it off and it went back to doing the same thing.

What do you think?

Thanks, Rob

Old 05-03-2006, 05:08 PM
Default RE: 90 accord ex tranny problem

if the light is on it could be a couple of things... My first guess is that it's the VSS system... Does the light ever blink? Have you tried disconnecting the battery for about 10-15 seconds while the car was not running and allowing the ECU to reset?

How did you try and get it to give you a code? what did it do when you tried it?

Old 05-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Rolla
Unregistered

I jumped the wires located in the passenger side kick panel and turned the key on. Nothing. I am going to try it again with the new tcm. I did disconnect/reconnect the battery and it worked great for about 25 miles. Sorry, I made it sound like I drove it with the battery disconnected. If it was the VSS would the speedo still be working?

Old 05-03-2006, 07:32 PM

the speedo could still be working with the vss out.... I've heard of that happening to a few people on here.... here's a link that deserthonda just posted for troubleshooting... This should help.

http://techauto.te.funpic.org/vss.php

Old 05-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

by shift park not releasing you mean it will not get out of park?? if so,, the s lite and this might be 2 separate issues,,,,,,,,
if S lite stays on steady , could be a bad TCM or a bad shift switch located on the shift lever..
the 4 solenoid you tested i am assuming are the lock up and the shift solenoids on the tranny ??

question,, has anyone spilled any soda or fluids in the center console sfitt area??
I do not think that the VSS has anything to do with this ..

Old 05-03-2006, 10:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Yeah, shift park not releasing has to do with many different things involving the trany and various other sensors.
The shift park lock wouldnt release when i had the tps voltage input too high on my car. I just popped the trim around the shifter off and used toothpick to push the shift lock down, kinda liked having to do that..... makes great theft prevention. ^_^ But in consideration of the fact, i think i screwed up my transmission in the process........ But yeah, considering the shift park release is related to pressing the break down, its easy to assume if the car and prevent it from working if the right codes are thrown. But, it could also be a bad solenoid on the lever as well.

Side note, you can jump the obd connector under the drivers side dash as well, usually thats what will give you the blink codes

Old 05-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Rolla
Unregistered

I am waiting on another box before I start changing other parts. I appreciate the advice I will let you know when I figure something out.

Thanks again.

Old 05-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Rolla
Unregistered

I got my new box installed and it is working great. I just got this car and I am already loving it. Again, I appreciate everybody's help.