General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 Accord Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 06:32 PM
tpmdtm
Unregistered
Default 91 Accord Clutch Problem

My clutch pedal seems to be slowly sinking to the floor. Several times per week I need to refill the resevoir and bleed the system. I just installed a new master cylinder and slave cylinder. The problem has not gone away and I don't see any leaking going on. Very often the clutch pedal sinks toward the floor while I am driving. I discovered that I can get pressure back if I pull the clutch pedal back out with my foot and tap it several times. This will give me enough pressure in the line to shift for awhile. On a 15 minute drive I may have to do this 4 or 5 times. When I get out and look at the fluid level, it is usually down a little but no where near empty. Occassionally I will check the level and it will be almost dry. Obviously air is getting in the system. Is there any tricks to help me find the leak. I've heard mention of putting some sort of dye in the fluid to help spot the leak. If this is true where do I get such dye? Also is this a common problem that occurs even with a new master cylinder and slave cylinder? Any clues for the clueless would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:32 PM
Default RE: 91 Accord Clutch Problem

IF ITS NOT A FACTORY CLUTCH AND MASTER CYLINDER IT STILL COULD BE LEAKING, LOOK INSIDE THE CAR BEHIND THE CLUTCH PEDAL FOR SIGNS OF A LEAK, THERE ARE ONLY 3 PLACES TO LEAK, THE HOSE OR ONE OF THE MASTER CYLINDERS. START FROM INSIDE THE CAR AND THEN FOLLOW THE HOSE TO THE SLAVE CYLINDER.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if you need to refill the reservoir that there is a leak,, double chk around the clutch master make sure hose is tight, chk slave cylinder, pull back on the rubber boot and see if any leak there and chk the hose that leads to slave cylinder ,,

Old 07-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

sounds like your engine is pretty dirty if you cant find that leak. simple green works good.

theres a little piece of black hose towards the passenger side of the engine compartment, it runs over the transmission. its the weak link in your hydrolic system. if it was leaking it would caue the exact problems your talking about.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:54 AM

Did you tighten up that bleed screw enough?