General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

91 accord, clutch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 01:50 PM
ducky84375
Unregistered
Default 91 accord, clutch problem?

hey, i have a friend with a 91 accord, he just got a new car causeit's has been giving him trouble and i'm wondering how serious the problem really is (considering he'll sell me the car for $650, now that he has a new one). he recently had a new transmission and clutch put in at pep boys (i know, i know... just fyi, i don't take my cars to pep boys). anways when he got his car back the clutch was giving him trouble, to engage he had to push it all the way to the floor, then it would get stuck and he'd have to mash it a few times for it to disengage. now he sias the clutch sometimes won't disengage when he's trying to shift and he's been left stranded cause he can't get into gear. seems kind of silly for a car with a new transmission and clutch. I personally have always owned only toyotas and subarus and have no experiance with hondas, however i seriously love the styling of the early 90's accords and would love to take this car off his hands if the problem is reasonably cheap to fix (i do my own work, so parts and a manual are all i'm talking about with price.) to me, it sounds like pep boys doesn't know how to bleed a clutch, anyone think it's more serious than that? any other ideas from you guys who know your accords inside and out? thanks for reading.

Ben

ps. i'll update once I get a chance to drive the car. haven't even heard it run yet, so there may be other explainations once i do that.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Default RE: 91 accord, clutch problem?

Sounds to me like the slave cylinder may be the problem, but you never know considering some minimum wage clutz at pep boys did the work. I had a friend that Did oil changes at pep boys he only worked there for a month and he saidthat half the time the cars went out worse than when they came in.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Clutch master cylinders are a known failure item; look up under the dash where the clutch push rod goes thru the fire wall to see if there is brake fluid seepage.
Check the fluid level in the clutch master reservoir.
also the slavecylinder[ as stated above]mounted on the front of the trans/bell housing area.
The car is a Steal at that price.
If you get the car,check to be sure that the peppy boys didn't put 80w90 gear oil in the trans.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:33 AM
ducky84375
Unregistered

ok, I got more information (though I still haven't driven it due to a dead battery). apparently he took the car into pep boys, they replaced the transmission, clutch, master and slave cylinders and still couldn't fix the problem he was having (thetransmission won't engage, he says it clears up but he can't go anywhere because it randomly happens and leaves him stranded) luckily because they couldn't fix his problem they gave him all of his money back ($1800+) so if anyone has anymore ideas that'd be awesome! also, assuming I don't pick up the car (I don't have time right now to even spend a second fixing this thing) if youre interested in a rediculously cheap accord, and can tow it, let me know and I might be able to hook you up (he just wants it gone), the thing is beautiful, clean inside and he was wrong on the original mileage, it only has 155k. man i wish i had the time!

Old 01-31-2007, 03:06 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

where do you live ???

Old 01-31-2007, 06:07 PM
ducky84375
Unregistered

LA, I go to USC.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:16 PM

my goodness.... If I had the time I'd personally drive down there and tow it back up for $650.00... that's what I list in the paper as a "mechanic's special".... does it still have the "new" parts in it?

Old 02-01-2007, 03:33 AM
ducky84375
Unregistered

yup, everythings still in it.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:10 AM

so 650 for an accord with new tranny..but clucth is not working properly...

let me know whats up..if you buy or not..

im interested if your willing to hook me up..