General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 Accord distributor oil inside.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 10:07 AM
JTK
Default 91 Accord distributor oil inside.

I have a 91 Accord lx SOHC. The distributor has engine oil inside of it. I know there are seals on the shaft connecting to the cam. Can these seals be replaced? If so where can I get the seals and how do I replace them.
I cannot find a thread on this subject.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 91 Accord distributor oil inside.

I have disassembled the distributor in an Accord EX, but did not replace any seals except the oring on the drive end, but to repair a bent support bracket. I force the distributor key into the camshaft slot upside down and bent an internal bracket in the distributor.

If you have oil in the distributor, the shaft seals (orings I think) may need to be replaced. There are no parts available for distributors, to my knowledge. Honda sells the distributor as a unit. Only hard part to disassembly was releasing three phillips head screws on top of the distributor. They were terribly tight and required use of a chisel at right angle to bump them loose. No manual guidance on this, so you'll have to puzzle out yourself. It's not a complicated assembly.

Following link has a detailed explanation of this problem.

http://www.cordclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4909

good luck

Old 06-22-2008, 08:04 PM
JTK
Default RE: 91 Accord distributor oil inside.

TexasHonda,
Thanks for the information about the distributor seals. I found an old one in my garage and following the information, I was able to get the shaft out and remove the seal and race. I looked on the web site listed and they do sell the seals and bearing for this. I am curious though, Why would you need to replace the bearing. It does not show wear.
Replacing the bearing would require some measuring skills and looks like it would be medium in difficulty.
I am going to try this replacement in a couple of months as I have had hand surgery and can't do this yet.
Thanks again to you and this site for helping the Honda owners be more self sufficient