Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

1993 Honda Accord LX Oil in Distributor

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 09:49 AM
joelanier
Unregistered
Default 1993 Honda Accord LX Oil in Distributor

Folks,

Here's one for you. Honda Dealership replaced Distributor O-Ring last May 07. 7 months later, (Dec 07), the Distributor filled with oil and car died on the spot.Had car towed to Honda Dealership. Honda Dealer replaced Distributor, S-plugs an wires (whole shebang) for $678. The rep said that the O-Ring failed and destroyed the wires and plugs. I just now figured out that they had replaced the O-Ring last May and called Honda. The manager says it wasn't the O ring, but thata bushing that failed in Dec. He says that there is supposed to be a small oil leak in the Distributor to keep the bushing lubricated. He said the bushing wore out and lost the oil seal causing the Distributor to fill with oil. The Manager also suggested I may want to consider buying a newHonda because of the frequent repairs.
Ok now... I am no mechanic... but can someone please explain the above. I smell fish....

Old 03-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1993 Honda Accord LX Oil in Distributor

Where was the first leak? Or why did they replace the O-ring back in May?

The distributor has an O-ring for an oil seal where it fits into the side of the engine. If that leaks, the oil runs down the side of the engine, NOT INSIDE the distributor.

Then there's another oil seal inside the distributor, where the distributor shaft spins. If that one leaks, the oil goes inside the distributor. That one isn't replaceable, you have to get a new distributor.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:06 AM
joelanier
Unregistered
Default RE: 1993 Honda Accord LX Oil in Distributor

Jim,

Thanks for the info.

The leak was first noticed on the outside of the distributor last may. The Honda Dealership replaced the External O-Ring at that time. 7 months later, the Distributor filled with oil. The bill was a whopper (over $740) to replace the distributor, wires and spark plugs. ($508 for parts). Will say that gas mileage definitely improved.
Am looking for less expensive repair shop for my 93 Honda Accord (185,000mi).
Bucks are getting tight these days....
Thanks again...
Joel Lanier