General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky oil distributor 90 Accord EX

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 06:07 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Leaky oil distributor 90 Accord EX

Well I thought all of my problems were gone but they are not. I'm leaking oil again right by the distributor, right where the shaft goes into the head. But ive replaced the gasket 3 times now and it still leaks from that area. Is there another gasket I'm missing or is the gaskets I put on the wrong size? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

You mean the O-ring of the distributor body? Oil is running down the head or leaking INSIDE the distributor cap?

If it's not inside the distributor cap, here's another idea. When you remove the distributor from the head, notice that there's a split-line on both sides of that opening. It's not the valve cover, but it's actually the last camshaft-bearing-cap. Sealant is supposed to be used when bolting that cap down to the head. The oil might be leaking through the crack between the head & the bearing cap.

Don't remove that until you know the tightening torque for those bolts. You'll be messing with the rocker assemblies & you might need to remove some of the other bearing caps.

Here's a picture. The bearing caps don't have their own part numbers because they are match-machined with the head. The last cap is located above the number "22" which points to a dowell pin for that cap.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Newest Of Newbies

It's not leaking from the inside and I don't see it moving down the head. It's dripping directly off this tab with a screw in it on the distributor. Here's a pic it's the tab on the right side. Now If it's this bearing cap, would I see oil on the whole side of the head?

Now could it just be luck that the distributor gaskets I bought are just bad their aftermarket.

Last edited by First90AccordMan; 01-19-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:37 PM

This might not be the best advice but you could try to put a little dab of removeable black or blue RTV sealant around the distributor at the O-Ring seal and see if the leak stops.

Last edited by Ineedhelp; 01-19-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The oring seals by interference w/ the sleeve it enters. There should be a bit of resistance to compress the oring as you install. If it goes in easily, it's too loose and will leak.

Make sure valve cover is not leaking.

good luck

Old 01-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

When you first replaced the o-ring, do you remove the old one? The original o-ring can get brittle and hardened to the point where you might not realize that is the o-ring.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:04 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes I know I removed the old one, I did look at the valve cover and that was ok. Here's what I'm doing, I'm buying the part again but I spent 10$ instead of 98cents. Got a nicer one. If that does not work I will try some of that sealant and see if that will stop it. Thanks for all the help, I will let you know what happens with this new gasket.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

If it's the bearing cap, it might only be leaking very close to the opening. Otherwise I think you're right about it leaking on the side of the head.

Also... look carefully inside the O-ring groove. If you scratched it while digging out the old O-ring, it might be leaking through those scratches.

Maybe you can polish them with some rubbing compound? Otherwise, you probably have to use sealant. HondaBond = Permatex "Ultra-Grey".