General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'91 Accord LX auto

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default '91 Accord LX auto

I've been fighting a non shifting transmission problem for months now and i'm at my wits end.
I've changed fluid with Honda fluid, checked all connectors, last weekend I followed the "Top Tip" DIY for removing the shift solenoids, (four) and cleaning them. Applied 12 volts to check their function and all is well there with good firm action.The passages and screens were clean and it does shift a little more positively. After a few minutes the "S" in the dash light started flashing again,(battery was disconnected for safety, that reset the computer) and it won't shift above second again.
Sometimes it will shift but no rhyme or reason, not when the shift light stays on solid from flashing.

Per the DIY section, how do I check the "S" codes? Is it in a different location than the engine code check port on the r/s of the passengers footwell you use the jumper wire for.

I'm planning on re-soldering the trans shift control relay next but I need to know specifically where it is?

Can someone please tell me its exact location so I can try that now. ('91 Accord LX Sedan)

Honda is famous for the relays solder deteriorating and a re-solder most time fixes them. I've done it on my '91 Prelude and NSX Main Relays and it worked great so i'm hoping this will finally do the fix.

Cheers
nigel

Last edited by nigel; 10-17-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

The same service connector for getting CEL codes will also get you the TCU codes.....and abs and srs if the car has those options/

So jump the connector and see what codes you get from the D4/S light and let us know.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default '91 Accord shift problems

Thanks, i'll get the code and get back.

Someone is telling me it might be the VSS and i've seen a procedure for removal, cleaning and reinstallation and it works but I can't find that procedure anymore and I don't know where it is located on the transmission.

Cheers
nigel

Old 10-19-2013, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Being that the VSS also "drives" the speedo, I don't think that would be the issue......assuming the speedo is working correctly?

Old 10-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Transmission not shifting and speedo acting up

Thanks for the reply and yes, the speedo is acting up and is intermittent and bouncy.
Does that help narrow it down possibly? I can only assume it is sending a bad signal to the transmission computer, (don't know what it's actually called) or the shift computer has bad solders a do so many Honda / Acura cars and that will be my last resort, (re-solder the terminals) as soon as I can locate the shift computer.

I will try and get the codes as soon as I get back to where the car is.

I DID find the procedure to clean the VSS on the Prelude Power site and as soon as I can find the VSS on the car I will be having a go at cleaning that.
Any thoughts?

Cheers
nigel

Last edited by nigel; 10-20-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 91 Accord shifting problems

Finally got back to have a look to see what's up.

I removed and cleaned all the black goo from the inside the VSS and lubed it with dielectric grease and reinstalled it. Nothing inside abnormal, just full of black goo.

Removed the Main relay and resoldered the pins.

NO CHANGE !

"S" light stays on, no flashing, no D4 light, speedo is inop but from time to time it will bounce and back to dead. Check Engine Light came on.
She says when the speedo starts to bounce, intermitantly, the "S" light will blink and sometimes it will shift up from 2nd until the speedo quits again.
Stays in second gear unless you manually shift it to 1st but won't shift any higher than 2nd under any condition except as stated above.
Doesn't down shift back to first at a stop. Stays in second.
Remember I just removed, cleaned, verified the, (4) solenoids work.
Reverse works ok.

Pulled the code and the "Check Enging Light" blinked a 17 code, (VSS) and the "S" light doesn't blink and stays on.

Help please. This girl need a car to drive and other than this shifting problem the car runs great.

Cheers
nigel

Last edited by nigel; 10-27-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

A 17 from the CEL is for the VSS....as I stated before, or asked, was the speedo acting up......anyway, sounds like time to replace the vss with a new one.

Then just me, does the light on the D4 light up at all?

Old 10-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default '91 Trans shift problem

Hi poorman212,

Thanks for getting back.
Per my last post of today, if you read it carefully I included all the symptoms that have come up.
Please read it again and see if all your questions will be answered.
Your experience/advice and help is hugely appreciated.

To answer you directly, no the D4 light doesn't come on at all as far as a code alert.
The speedo is "dead" except as in my previous post from earlier today.
The "S" light is on solid all the time and every time I do a test drive after completing the VSS cleaning and reinstallation today, clearing the computer, (disconnecting the battery) the "Check Engine Light" illumimnates and per the reading, I get a 17 code flash.
Anything?

Cheers
nigel

Last edited by nigel; 10-27-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) probably is faulty.

The VSS transmit speed data to the TCU, ECU, speedometer gauge and the cruise control unit. See this link:

VSS - Vehicle Speed Sensor Troubleshoot, Repair, Replace - How To.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default '91 trans

Thanks redbull,

I'm thinking that it's bad as well because of the items that are failing.
Just wanting to get more educated advice before I start throwing this girls money at the car.
That's why i've done alot of these DIY repairs from this and the Prelude Power site before I do.
Seems a new one can be had for around $40, (ended up $70) or so. obviously not from Honda.

Cheers
nigel

Last edited by nigel; 11-02-2013 at 05:21 PM.

Quick Reply: '91 Accord LX auto