General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

91 accord lx AT. Need help please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Default 91 accord lx AT. Need help please!!!!

Sorry if this is on here somewhere but im having some issues with my baby. I have an f22b engine swap in my 91 accord.

1. I think I found this prob but during warm weather after stopping somewhere for a few she decides not to start. try and try til all the sudden fires up like nothing was wrong.
2. Idle revs up and down like crazy. and try's to stall at stoplights while in drive.
3. Leaking antifreeze out bottom of engine. I was told this was the waterpump but thought i'd get some more expertise.

Hopefully I can get some good info on how to fix these issues. thank you

Old 01-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

#1 Car not starting in warm weather sounds like a problem with the main fuel relay. It is a common problem with accords of that era.

When you first turn the key to the II position, listen carefully for the fuel pump to turn on during the ~2 seconds the check engine light is on. It is a faint buzzing/whirling sound that comes from the back seat, so turn off radio, blower, etc to listen carefully. If that sound is missing when the car doesn't start, then you can replace or re-solder the main relay.

#2 and #3 are likely related. The coolant leak is allowing air into your system. Air tricks the temperature sensor into falsely reading a lower temperature and the ECU will try to change the idle by allowing more air in to warm up the engine

You need to fix the leak. Where is leak coming from? Fix the leak, then properly change out the coolant to bleed the air out of the system to fix the idle problem.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:46 PM

The leak is directly under the pulleys and belts. That would be great if the idle problem is the result of the leak. Two birds one stone. Would you agree that it is a bad waterpump?
And I also forgot to mention that there is a clicking coming from the distributor sometimes while it is idleing like this.
Thanks

Old 01-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

The leak is probably the water pump.

There is also a hard line that goes from the water pump and wraps around the back of the engine. #12 in the picture below. If the o-ring #19 was leaking it would probably leak on the back of the engine and not from under the timing belt cover.

If you are going to replace the WP, you should replace the timing belts at the same time, because it is really the same job. When was the timing belt/water pump last changed?

Not sure about the distributor. Sounds are difficult to diagnose over the web.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:31 PM

well i have never changed the belts since i did the engine swap, (I ordered it over the net)but will definately do that since its right there. Not sure if I wanna do the water pump or have a shop do it. It seems like a pain in the ars to get to.

Last edited by jstrong369; 01-06-2011 at 07:34 PM.