General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

91 accord overheats and no hot air in cabin

Old 02-11-2006, 05:43 AM
Dan the man
Unregistered
Default 91 accord overheats and no hot air in cabin

Congrats to me. This is my first post here!!!

My 91 accord se is overheating, but not all the way. When the needle gets higher, I just turn the heater on to help direct some of the heat my way into the cabin to get the needle down. This always seems to do the job. Last week when I turned the heater on to cool the car back down, I heard a pop and cold air started to come into the car's cabin immediatly. Also, sometimes I smell the coolant and I am finding drops underneath the car and sometimes around my radiator cap, but cannot actually find it comming out of the hole if there is any, but when I take the cap off to check the coolant, I find the level normal, as if there where no problems. But now with the heater not working and blowing cool air my coolant is leaking big time.

Thanks for the help and assistance.

Daniel Goff,
Los Angeles, Cali

Old 02-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 91 accord overheats and no hot air in cabin

first off , it would be a good idea to pressure test the system to make sure you got no leaks, also test the radiator cap,, .. Make sure your thermostat is opening properly, the lower radiator hose should be almost as hot as the top hose .. when car has been warmed up,, if it is cool or just a bit warm you got a stuck t-stat..

Old 02-12-2006, 12:46 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 91 accord overheats and no hot air in cabin

well sounds like you have a blown heater core or a busted hose leading to it. you have to stop all leaks. if it is leaking then it isnt pressurized, and then you will overheat