General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91' Accord "S" Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Question 91' Accord "S" Light Issue

Hey all! I'm really hoping someone could help me troubleshoot an issue I've been having off and on for months now, sometimes when I'm driving my accord the "S' Light comes on for no reason and it seems to possibly downshift or have trouble shifting. Not sure if it's in limp mode or what. Some history: I replaced the TCU a couple of years ago with a used one. I remember when my old TCU died the check engine light would come on. However, with this issue...it hasn't come on at all. So maybe there is a problem with my transmission? Is there any troubleshooting I could do to diagnose the problem? Also it usually goes away in a split second but today was staying on, so I parked it for 30min-1hr then I checked it too see if the "S" light was on and it wasn't on so I have no idea.. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

Old 01-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

The flashing S Indicator light means that the A/T control unit senses an abnormality.

Use a jumper wire to short the Service Check Connector (located to the lower right of the glove compartment) and the S indicator light will blink the problem code when the ignition switch is turned on.

Problem codes 1 through 9 are indicated by individual short blinks, Problem codes 10 through 15 are indicated by a series of long and short blinks. One long blink equals 10 short blinks. Add the long and short blinks together to determine the problem code.

(Also, see the Common DIY and Info. threads sticky at the top of this forum too.)

Some early Accords also have an LED display on the A/T control unit that will blink a problem code when the ignition key is turned on.

It can turn out to be the TCU again, as it is a common problem on 4th gen Accords with burnt resistor(s) and/or blown capacitors.

Attached Thumbnails 91' Accord "S" Light Issue-4th-gen-accord-service-check-connector.jpg   91' Accord "S" Light Issue-tcu-s-light.jpg  
Old 01-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the quick reply. Just to clarify...the "S" Light is not blinking it is solid. I'll see if there is a code soon and post a reply to the thread, thanks for the help! much appreciated.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Just checked for codes and found out there weren't any. So I am confused as to what to do now. Any ideas?

Old 01-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Steady S light is one of the symptoms of faulty TCM. Others were buzzing of interlock control unit and shift problems (stuck in 3rd or 4th gear or other unusual shift problems).

Usually you can visually see burnt components on the TCM.

Fix is replacement of TCM.

good luck

Old 01-22-2013, 05:58 PM

I had the same problem with the same year accord. I replaced the tcu and it fixed it