General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 Accord Start Problems - Dash Lights wont Turn On

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Default 91 Accord Start Problems - Dash Lights wont Turn On

Have a 91 Accord that just turned off on me at stop light, was able drive it back to my place.

Now when I go to start car it wont turn on. It sounds like its about to turn on but then just dies, kinda sounds like its out of gas (tank is little below full). I tried giving it gas when its about to die but does not help.

When turning key no dash lights come on as usual now. Battery is good all power windows, locks, lights, work.

Any ideas?

Old 07-25-2012, 02:33 PM

Okay I figured how to get it started:

When holding ignition key in start position, engine runs. Engine stops as soon as releasing the ignition key.

What is the problem?

Old 07-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a flaky ignition switch.

Start the engine, but don't COMPLETELY release the key. Let it spring back "almost" as far as it wants to. You want the starter motor to quit running, but you don't want the key to spring back all the way. If you can get it to keep running like that, it's almost certainly a bad switch.

You need the electrical part of the switch, not the key cylinder.

There has been a recall for this, but I suspect 1991 was not part of that. But it's worth a phone call to a Honda dealer.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Sounds like a flaky ignition switch.

Start the engine, but don't COMPLETELY release the key. Let it spring back "almost" as far as it wants to. You want the starter motor to quit running, but you don't want the key to spring back all the way. If you can get it to keep running like that, it's almost certainly a bad switch.
Yea thats exactly how I got it to start up again. Once I let go car stops running.

Originally Posted by JimBlake
You need the electrical part of the switch, not the key cylinder.

There has been a recall for this, but I suspect 1991 was not part of that. But it's worth a phone call to a Honda dealer.
Is this the part I need?

Old 07-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

That appears to be right part, but mine (94EX) did not have a wiring harness attached, just a switch assy.

good luck

Old 07-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Take off the plastic shroud around the steering column. That switch will be located opposite from where the key goes in.

Try for a temporary fix by checking the 2 screws holding that switch onto the lock cylinder. Maybe they're loose, or maybe there's a bit of motion in the bolt holes so you might be able to reposition the switch.

(Of course if you can get a new switch quickly, you can go for that directly)