General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 Accord ticking

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:37 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 91 Accord ticking

So the 91 Accord DX I bought about 2 weeks ago started ticking after I did an oil change and replaced the catalytic converter and all exhaust gaskets from the manifold down.

I have heard many older hondas tick before. I had an 85 prelude that ticked all the way up 340k. Anyhow, the tick becomes more rapid obviously under acceleration. Do I have a bad valve/lifter? I don't know squat about honda motors....so this will be a good time to learn.

eta: the oil I used was some extra 10w40 valvoline that i had in the shop. I used a wix filter also. And the exhaust gaskets were all Honda. The converter is a Magnaflow (CA approved version).

So....what do I get to fix?

Old 02-22-2011, 12:42 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Also, what causes the steering wheel and dash to rattle/shimmle when at a stop? The rpm's fluctuate very slightly....maybe an idle control valve (if so equipped)?

Old 02-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Honda's do "tick"-hard to tell over the net if the tick you have is more than normal...suggest check the valve lash to be sure.

The shake...I'd start with checking the mounts....wait, you just got the car so an inspection or replacement of the normal maint items is needed-cap, rotor, wires, plugs, ect.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
Honda's do "tick"-hard to tell over the net if the tick you have is more than normal...suggest check the valve lash to be sure.

The shake...I'd start with checking the mounts....wait, you just got the car so an inspection or replacement of the normal maint items is needed-cap, rotor, wires, plugs, ect.
Yeah tick is just a bit louder than what I have heard from other Hondas...but is probably not much to worry about. I'll check the valves and whatnot. I need to replace the valve cover gasket and little spark plug o-ring seals anyhow.

So maybe just a tune up will cure the shakes..LOL. Probably needs it anyhow. Thanks poorman.