General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

91 Honda Accord Speed Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 01:59 AM
minsid
Unregistered
Default 91 Honda Accord Speed Sensor

Does anyone know where is the location of the speed sensor?

Please give me a link or a picture or diagram.

Old 01-17-2006, 07:28 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 91 Honda Accord Speed Sensor

sorry minsid, i dont have a link or anything so ill try to describe it. the vss is located at the back of the tranny, close to the firewall, and just about underneath the intake manifold. it is a gear driven mechinism, with two hoses attached to it.

completely take the intake system out. you may want to move the map box out of the way, it is the black box with all the hoses hanging out. 2 10mm's hold that bitch on. disconnecting those hoses will not hurt anything. you may want to move that goofy canister that is under it also, if you just pull up on it it will come right out, it just sits in a holster. since i think your replacing the vss, you will probably want to remove the two hoses and any connectors before you unscrew it, as i remember there is only one bolt that holds it on and is probably a 12 or 14 mm. those hoses are going to probably be pretty dry (and a bad hose might actually be the problem in stead of the actual sensor), but i dont know. so.....you may want to spray the hoses down with some silicon spray, this will rejuvinate the hoses and help keep them from breaking if you need to put a pair of pliars around them to break them loose. good luck. let us know how it goes.

lightshow

Old 01-17-2006, 11:16 AM

ORIGINAL: minsid

Does anyone know where is the location of the speed sensor?

Please give me a link or a picture or diagram.
what Lightshow said is for up tp an 89 accord,, starting in 90 honda changed the set up.. speed sensor
It is located at back of tranny, it has a plug going to it with 3 wires 1 of them is orange , 1 black, the other i cannot recall . if you remove the throttle rubber intake tube you can have a clear look at it..............It is a 2 part sensor the electrical part sits on top held on by 2 10mm bolts, that's what causes most of the problems.. the mechanical part goes inside the tranny . if you have issues with D lite coming on or speedometer working erratic , most likely it is the electrical portion that needs to be replaced

Old 01-17-2006, 03:38 PM

ooops forgot to say,, the lower part ,, mechanical part still has the hoses going to it ..

Old 01-17-2006, 06:47 PM

i def stand corrected on that one.

lightshow

Old 01-18-2006, 12:48 AM
minsid
Unregistered

Thanks for the help.

I gotta put this thing on.

Old 01-18-2006, 01:59 AM

if its got a gear on it then its the thing i was talking about, if it has the connectors, then it is the one that desert is talking about.

lightshow