General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 Accord EX coupe dash/tail lights out

Old 12-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Default 92 Accord EX coupe dash/tail lights out

Hey all,

this is my first post here. I just spent hundreds of dollars last week replacing all of my seals, water pump and timing belt. I'm supposed to be driving from Georgia to Florida as we speak, but now I'm having electrical issues.

I first noticed today while it was raining that my dash lights weren't coming on... I sometimes have to jiggle the light switch, so I thought no big deal. I left for Florida tonight, and got pulled over about 10 minutes out. No tail lights. After I got back home, I did a little digging. First, I checked the fuses. All good. Next, I tried to jump the dimmer switch wires. No go. After that, I completely removed my aftermarket stereo, because I've heard of issues with the dimmer wire. No luck.

After a little further digging, I see the accords have a water leak problem with the tail lights. Seeing as I first noticed the issue while it was raining, this is most likely the cause. Is there an easy fix to this? I need to get on the road ASAP. Will I ned a new tail light, or can I take this one out and dry it out?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-07-2011, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

I would try to diagnose before spending money on a part.

Are the tail lights out? Or are the brake lights not working?

Remove a tail light bulb, turn on the light(s) that are not working. Turn on the light (or have someone press the brake pedal if brake lights). See if the non-black wire going to the bulb has 12V to ground (I use a bare metal bolt).

Old 12-08-2011, 06:29 AM

Thanks for your response.

The tail lights and dash lights are out, but the brake lights are working fine. I have seen a lot of posts about issues with the "small lights" fuse under the hood, but my fuse is not blown. I inspected the bulbs in the tail light last night, and they seem to be fine. I just put them back in and checked the lights, still nothing.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I had this problem when I first bought my 97 Accord.
After countless hours trying to figure it out I just ran a wire from the fuse box to the rear taillights.
So anytime the car is on the rear taillights are on which is fine with me.
I also ran a wire to the dimmer switch (bypassing it) and now all my dash lights also work whenever the car is on.
Search my username and you can find my post about it.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by crispin
I had this problem when I first bought my 97 Accord.
After countless hours trying to figure it out I just ran a wire from the fuse box to the rear taillights.
So anytime the car is on the rear taillights are on which is fine with me.
I also ran a wire to the dimmer switch (bypassing it) and now all my dash lights also work whenever the car is on.
Search my username and you can find my post about it.
I saw that post last night.

I got the issue fixed here, the problem was my headlight switch assembly. I ran up to the local U-Pull and got a new switch, works great so far. It was about a 20-minute fix, and it might fix your problem!