General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 Accord EX electrical issue help

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 06:38 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 92 Accord EX electrical issue help

Well guys I need some more help on a new issue I'm having. Symptoms: My cars interior lights get real dim, the windows go up really slow, and on a cold start it cranks a little longer than normal. Lately I've noticed some ticking in the top end more so than usual but I'm thinking that's irrelevant.. Anyways I just did a complete tune up. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv, air filter and fuel filter. I tested the battery and the alternator under load and I am reading normal. So what should I be looking for? I was thinking maybe the ignition coil is starting to go but from what I've read in most cases the car won't start at all but I've also read about the ignitor possibly going bad? Or maybe even a bad ground? I'm not even sure at this point so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Last edited by Jak3l; 10-16-2015 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Poor battery connection or corroded battery cable can cause your lights to dim and slow starting. Clean connections and inspect cables for excessive voltage drop (< .5v under starting condition).

good luck

Old 10-19-2015, 04:18 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Poor battery connection or corroded battery cable can cause your lights to dim and slow starting. Clean connections and inspect cables for excessive voltage drop (< .5v under starting condition).

good luck
Well I went over all the battery connections again and made sure the terminals were nice and clean and tight and everything looks good. I've read over my manual and there isn't many other things it could be according to them so I just don't know. I guess I'm gonna start going over wires every where and see if something somewhere is 100%. Thanks for your help though man I've been having alot of issues lately but its understandable when you have as many miles on your car as I do so I'm just gonna keep wrenching for now lol.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

another area to focus is grounding of the battery and engine to the chassis. in order to complete the circuit, the battery and alternator need to be bonded to the chassis. that connection is usually forgotten about but it is the most important. follow the factory ground wires and clean those connections.

even the factory alternator terminal can use a good cleaning.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-wiring-32622/

get a volt meter that plugs into your cigarette lighter socket and monitor voltage. you should have 14.2V or more at the dash with the car running. The ELD may cause a drop to 12.4V while driving, i have a bypass for that in the Electronics section.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-bypass-32726/