General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 Accord EX radio on-off ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Default 92 Accord EX radio on-off ??

My radio does not click off when in the off position. Is that normal?
When in accessory position "I" dial station light stays on.
Reason for this question is wife used wrong mis cut key in Ign and switch will not go to off/lock and it is very cold here to be monkeying with it right now. Thank you.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

If I am reading this right, turning off the radio should shut it off. Maybe the power switch is messed up. If you are worried about draining the battery, just disconnect it.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:05 AM

Thank you for reply.
When turning volume control CCW to lowest volume as far as it will go does it have an over center feel as radio goes to off. All radios from the 1930's onward till on /off push button appeared had and over center feel as it went to off. Mine just goes to lowest volume with no feel of over center as it hits stop. Station indicator light stays on also
with key in Accessory position.
This is wife’s car and she might tire of disconnecting battery several times a day in winter.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Can't remember the factory radio in the 4th gen right now but for some reason I think/remember you "push" the volume button to turn it off???? But I'm old, slow and stupid.....

There is also the under hood fuse box, just remove the fuse - pretty sure there is another fuse in the drivers under dash as well.....easier than the battery cable and less wear/tear on the cable being removed and put back on...again just my two cents.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

The radio's ON/OFF suppose to work by turning it.

Attached Thumbnails 92 Accord EX radio on-off ??-radio-off.jpg  
Old 12-14-2013, 07:59 AM

Thank you poorman212 & redbull 1 for info . I put a Quick dis connect on the battery for temporary.
Thanks to poorman212 I found in the archives where the radio code might be located.
Still would like to know if 92 Accord EX radio has a detent to off on the volume ****.
Pretty much I can find info in Factory manual or archives. Thanks

Old 12-19-2013, 12:07 PM

Hope this is the end of the story. Warmed up 32F yesterday so decided to see what makes lock cylinder work or rather not work . Car came witrh one key that mostly worked. Had locksmith make another key that only worked in ignition 1% of time. Had Honda dealer cut a key from Vin #. This key worked in the doors but not ignition. Wife put wrong key in when she was having trouble and key was very difficult to remove. So I removed the lock cylinder out of lock assy in the car and moved indoors where I could get a good look at it. I adjusted the tumblers with a file and cleaned and lubed everything up. Now all keys work and wife is on the road again. Happy Holidays to all!