General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 accord lx tach jumping and car quiting

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 05:34 PM
bushy74
Unregistered
Default 92 accord lx tach jumping and car quiting

I have a 92 accord lx 4cyl 4dr sedan, the tach jumps at about 2500 to 3000 rpms and sometimes quit. Seems like it only does it when its warmed up good and when it does quit usually it comes right back on. Changed the plugs and wires, the fuel filter, and the ignition coil. Cant keep stickin money in it and coming up with nothing. Please help!

Old 02-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 92 accord lx tach jumping and car quiting

ORIGINAL: bushy74

I have a 92 accord lx 4cyl 4dr sedan, the tach jumps at about 2500 to 3000 rpms and sometimes quit. Seems like it only does it when its warmed up good and when it does quit usually it comes right back on. Changed the plugs and wires, the fuel filter, and the ignition coil. Cant keep stickin money in it and coming up with nothing. Please help!
Hello Bushy,, Welcome to HAF.. sorry to hear about your current issue,and the money that you have waster , but you are what i call RPHTGLG
REPLACE PARTS HOPE TO GET LUCKY GUY ,, no fun intended
Ok guys all together DIAGNOSE,, DIAGNOSE,, DIAGNOSE
Now when you say sometimes it quits is the tach or the engine quits ?? chk engine lite on ?? tranny lite on ?? If no lite on,, you might want to jum,p the connector to see if there are any codes stored .. connector is located under dash rt side by the kick panel, blue connector, 2 wires , get a paper clip and jump the wires together, turn ign key on and count the flashes in the instrument cluster
if it is the tach , you might want to chk the plug at the V.S.S.
might be a bad electrical part of the V.S.S ( vehicle speed sensor )
If it is the engine does it start right back up immediately ? do you have time to chk for spark and fuel ??

let us know

Old 02-28-2007, 07:06 PM
bushy74
Unregistered
Default RE: 92 accord lx tach jumping and car quiting

Hey deserthonda thnx for quick reply! The car engine quits and the tach just drops off like the key is off. There is no lights on and I tried to jump the connector to get a code but there is none. When the car quits, the engine just seems to start back up before i come to a coasting stop. But once again when all this happens there are no lights that come on. No chk engine, and no other lights in the dash. Like i said, i tried to jump the connector to get some kind of code but there is none there. Someone told me that the coil was breakin up when it gets hot and the spark was eratic, so i replaced it and there seems to be no change. When the car is warm and i accelerate to 2500 to 3000 rpms to shift, the tach will jump and act all crazy and when it does that the engine does the herky-jerky and that is when it quits sometimes. Ive noticed that if i push in the clutch and rev the heck out of it, it seems to clear up for a little while. I travel 30 miles each way to work and dont want to get stranded. Thanx for the help.