General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 Accord to VTEC engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 04:46 AM
MdntRanger50
Unregistered
Default 92 Accord to VTEC engine?

Hey guys, I used the search and did find some answers to my question already. Here is what I have. A customer has a '92 Accord 2.2L automatic with both the engine and trans bad. He brings me a newer model sohc Vtec engine and auto trans to replace them with. Just from my initial inspection I noticed the vacuum hose setup it totally different, the fuel line hooks to the other side of the fuel rail, and the exhaust manifolds are different as the 92 has an o2 sensor in it and the Vtec engine does not. The vtec engine has all the wiring on it and I can get the ecu from the same car it came from. Is this apractical swap? I am sure it can be done but I am kinda pressed for time with other work and did not want to take on this job if it is going to be a lot of extra involvedin making it work properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-25-2007, 06:09 AM
Default RE: 92 Accord to VTEC engine?

What is the engine code for the new engine?

Old 03-25-2007, 07:18 AM
MdntRanger50
Unregistered

I will get the vtec engine code for youtomorrow.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:57 PM
MdntRanger50
Unregistered

The engine code for the Vtec is F22B1.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:51 PM

Should be an almost direct fit. For the fuel rail JDM engine hook up on the left, all you'll have to do is buy an OEM USDM fuel rail and swap it in. Also the fuel Rail from an F22A will work, as long as you use the injectors from the F22B. Make sure you take the wiring and ECU from the donor vehicle, since you are upgrading to OBD2. As for the vacuum lines, I've never heard of them being different but if they are, just take the vacuum manifold from the donor vehicle as well.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:21 PM
MdntRanger50
Unregistered

Will I haveto swap out the chassis harness as well? I was looking it over today and found one of the connectors to be different. There are 3 connectors coming from the engine harness that plug into the chassis harness on the drive side strut tower. One of the connectors on the Vtec engine harness has 8 pins and the same one in the car only has a 6 pin for the connection. I don't see how I can use the Vtec harness without swapping out the rest of the chassis harness from the donor car. I can post pics if you want to see what I am talking about.

Will this work? Keep the same wiring harness, ecu, intake, and exhaust manifold that is on the car now and just use the Vtec block/head and transmission? I know thevariable valve timingwill not work without usingthe Vtecharness and ecu. Will the manifolds interchange? Will the Vtec distributor work this way? And finally will the newer transmission be compatiable with the old ecu? Sorry for so many ?s just trying to research this before commit to doing this job. If it is not feasible to go with this engine and transI would rather not do it at all then have an unsatified customer. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:30 PM

Yes you can use the old harness and ECU, but it won't be emissions legal if you are in an area where that is a concern. The distributer will still work. Transmission is not a problem.

You can go to this site: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=45

They will not let you post unless you are a full member, but there isknowledge there on this same exact swap where people have been there done that, including step by step instructions.