General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92' Accord wagon Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Solarboy
Unregistered
Default 92' Accord wagon Power Steering

I bought my car pretty cheap, cuz the PS wasn't working. Their is a change in engine note when I turn the wheel lock to lock, and there is no difference in steering with the engine revved up. I disconected the hoses at the pump and reservoir and the pump is pumping...I get good flow back, but nothing out of the cooler line at all.
The fluid was dark and stinky. There doesn't appear to be any leaks anywhere.

I'm thinking that the valves are stuck in the valve body at the rack. I'm wondering if this is what happens when the wrong fluid is used. I'd like to flush the old fluid out, but the special honda fluid is so spendy, I'd like to use something else, like ATF if that is ok. My searches for info give me mixed answers...some say "sure" some say "no way".

From what I'm seeing in this forum...there are lots of smart and experienced folks here, and I hope someone really knows the fine details of the Honda PS system...like...how and when does fluid get diverted to the cooler? What is the most common way that these systems fail? I'm in Wisconsin...the land of too much road-salt, and the valve body on the rack is pretty nasty looking, and so far, my tubing wrenches are not making it, so to remove the tubes I'll have to resort to magic, or vice grips.

Can anyone educate me a bit?
Thanks!
Dan

Old 08-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 92' Accord wagon Power Steering

While I might use some fluid other than Honda PS (Honda compatible PS fluids), I would not use ATF, except perhaps as a flushing fluid to remove the old fluid. I would then flush again w/ Honda PS or equivalent. I have heard good things about the Lucas PS additive, but don't know if it would fix this problem. Still it will be cheap and quick, compared to replacing the rack and tubing ends.

I would also check the PS pump is actually providing adequate pressure to drive the rack. It may not have enough power to move the rack, but might still circulate fluid.

good luck

Old 08-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Solarboy
Unregistered

Thanks Tex,
I was going to rig up a pressure tester for the PS pump, till I found out that it's over 1000psi!. Not many 1000psi pressure gauges available for the DIYer.

I'm trying to find a good online manual for the 92', but so far, I've only found 91' and 93'. Looking at the 93', there are enough odd things that could affect the PS that I'm not yet inclined to blame the pump. For example, if the speed sensor (if the 92' has it) is messed up, it could be limiting the amount of PS boost. Or if the bypass is stuck, it could be short circuiting the fluid around the valve body. I'll keep looking for a good manual (Haynes is useless on this) while I keep sprinkling holy water on the tubing fittings.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I don't think you'll see much difference between 92 and the 91 or 93 manuals.

A 2000 psi gauge can be purchased on ebay cheaply. However I would agree it could be things other than the rack. I think all the Hondas have the speed sensitive PS, a great feature that provides the nice stable feel at speed.

good luck