General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Accord 2.2l 4cyl..overheating/idling problem so frustrating

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Default 95 Accord 2.2l 4cyl..overheating/idling problem so frustrating

Hey to all., Need help if anyone can help me out. I have a 95 Accord 2.2l 4 cyl, over heating and idle problem. I changed both sensors on the thermostat housingand bleed it for air, fan works only when I turn the car off. I want to know why the fan doesn't turn on when i'm driving? About my idle. When the car is warmed up to operating temperature the cooling fan is suppose to kick in but it doesn't. The idle sits at 500 rpm and it feels like it wants to stall. But when i come to a stop at a light, the idle start to rise on its own and it sits anywhere from 1500 to 2000 rpm. But when i pull back on the gas pedal it drops to normal idle at about 600 rpm,and still feels like it wants to stall. I adjusted the cable and its really loose and the gas pedal still sticks and it won't drop the rpms. Shouldn't the check engine light come on if there is problem. I have no check egine light at all.. Did the wholeIAC disconnecting thing and it still didn't do anything. I also did the FITV things, screwing far down as possible when hot. I went to the mechanic and he told me it was the throttle body so i purchased one without the MAP sensor and it still didn't change anything. Could it be that my MAP sensor is gone.If anyone can help me out id greatly appreciate it..Thanks

Old 08-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Default RE: 95 Accord 2.2l 4cyl..overheating/idling problem so frustrating

Turn on your A/C: Do both fans come on? If so then it may simply be your temp sensor/relay. If not then troubleshoot the fan.... I believe that sensor can affect your idle as well...

Old 08-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

assuming radiator is full, system properly bled, t-stat opens properly, both hoses should feel almost the same , the lower will feel not as hot as the top rad hose but it should still feel hot, if it feels warm or cool t-stat is not opening fully ..( if so fix it before going any further )

first off,, BOTH fans should come on when engine is hot ( t-stat opened and coolant temp around 200 deg .. ).
chk all fuses first , under dash fuses # 4 and 8 both 7.5 amps , underhood fuse box , fuses # 34 , 15 amps and fuse # 21, 20 amps. if all fuses are ok...
. start the engine , put a/c on, DO both fan turn on ?? if they do we know that the fan motors are ok, ..( if they do not or 1 does not , hit the motor with a big screwdriver and see if it turns on ,if it does you got a bad motor )
if they both turn on with a/c on,, shut a/c off, let the engine warm up ( t-stat opened ) jump the plug at t-stat housing 2 wires black/green , use a paper clip .Do both fan turn on ??
if they DO, you got a bad switch replace it and retry it..
If they do not when switch is jumped , there could be a wiring issue ,, assuming all fuses are ok and both fans worked with a/c on,

try this and let us know .. DO NOT skip any steps ,,
lets tackle this then we will worry about the idle issue

Old 08-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

You can download a shop manual for a 94 accord at www.hondahookup.com/manuals

For the overheating problem, are you losing any coolant? Have you replaced the thermostat with one from a Honda Dealership? Aftermarket thermostats can cause problems, because they don't fully open at the correct temperature. Do both of your fans turn on when you turn on the A/C? The section dealing with the cooling fans is under the A/C section.

The idle problems occur when too much air is entering the intake. This could be from a leak on the intake manifold or the air control valves (IAC and FITV) are not properly regulating air. It sounds like you have the gas pedal adjusted too tight, since you have to pull back on the gas to completely close the throttle plate. Before you do anything, adjust the throttle cable properly. The section dealing with adjusting the throttle cable is under fuel and emissions.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:10 PM

Hey. Okay this is how it is. First we checked all the fuses and they were ok. Hoses were both prettyhot. Started the car, let it warm up to normal operating temperature, and the cooling fan did not turn on at all. Then we turned on the A/C and none of the fans turned on (A/C fan is brand new). Tapped both motors with the screwdriver and none of the fans turned on. We jumped the switch at the T-stat housing with the paper clip and the cooling fan came on only. I just put in a new t-stat sensor recently. Why won't the fans turn on?

Old 08-20-2007, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Unless it's really warm, I've seen a 2.2 accord engine run for a very long time w/o thermoswitch A closing to turn both cooling fans on. If you have or can borrow an IR temp gauge check temperature on thermostat housing when you think engine is fully warm. You could have a thermostat that runs too cool. Honda OEM thermostat is best. Thermoswitch A closes at 199F for a 94Ex. Your's is probably same.

Did AC blower and compressor engage when you turned AC on? Have you checked the underdash fuses? A bad fuse in underdash fuse box could disable AC compressor which would prevent fans from engaging.

Reason only one fan came on w/ paper clip is the other fan has likely failed. Check for power to the fan w/ your paper clip in themoswitch A connector. If power is available fan motor is bad. Fans have a definite life of about 10-12 yrs in my experience.

I don't understand your terms for the fans. Radiator fan is pax side and Condensor fan is driver's side.

good luck

Old 08-20-2007, 11:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if the temp wqas around 200 deg , you jumped the switch at t-stat housing you got a bad switch as for the other fan not coming on,, you need to chk to see if you are getting both power and ground at the fan motor connector ,, with the switch at t-stat still jumped ..........if you get power and ground you got a bad motor ,,, if not could be a bad relay or wiring ..

Also which fan is not coming on ?? main cooling fan ( pass side ) or condensor fan ( driver side )

Old 08-21-2007, 06:52 PM

Hey..how are ya? This is how it is..main cooling fan ( pass side )does not come on when the car reachs normal operating temp..When im driving, it should come on maybe once in a while, but its not at all.When i turn the car off, it comes on.,and also when i jump it at the t-stat housing.

Condensor fan ( driver side its new) and i got nothing..

P.S. could it be the relays bolted at the rad.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

W/ a new fan and no fan action at all on condensor fan, I would suspect the the relay since you've already confirmed no bad fuses. This fan runs directly through fuses to relay to fan. So if no power and good fuse, the relay has to be open or missing. On a 94 Accord, the condensor fan relay is on the radiator frame on driver's side. There are two of them and condensor fan relay is the one towards front to the car. It is also possible someone forgot to reconnect the condensor fan ground. Check connector for ground and power w/ thermoswitch A connector jumpered.

I still suspect you have a thermostat that is running cool, so the thermoswitch A never closes, or you have a faulty thermoswitch A (never closes no matter the temp). Only way to know is measure coolant temp and see. Thermoswitch A closes a 199F, pretty hot. If someone put in a 170F or 180F thermostat, you may never close thermoswitch A.

good luck