General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 accord weird rpms and engine stalling

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:56 PM
92hondaaccordman
Unregistered
Default 92 accord weird rpms and engine stalling

i own a 92 accord and have had for four years. But recently on the rpm gauge, the rpm needle will start to "dance" and/or "bounce" at around 3k rpms and up. But as i listen to the motor it doesnt seem to have an effect to it. But after about fifteen minutes or so it will start to randomly hesitate or stall out. The rpm needle will drop significantly to zero or almost to zero and the car goes powerless for a split second then returns to normal. It will continue to do this randomly and gets worse to the point where the car would stall out so much it dies. Ive seen it were it will even hesitate at a stop light so it really is random when it does and it does happen very often. Ive been asking around for a while now and nobody has gaven me nothing about it. So i thought this would be a great place to ask. So hopefully someone out there can help me out id appreciate it a lot.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator

Does the check engine light come on when it is about to stall? If so, then you should check for codes.

There is also an engine ground that is bolted to the thermostat housing. You may want to unbolt, clean any corrosion off of it, then bolt it back on. Do this when the engine is not running.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:39 PM
92hondaaccordman
Unregistered

no it doesnt throw a check engine light and the ground looked fine to me

Old 11-02-2009, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Look for loose connections at the ignitor (inside the distributor). The ignitor is the source of the tachometer signal - I vaguely recall it's a blue wire??

If no luck, then maybe look for loose connections at the back of the cluster?

Old 11-02-2009, 07:00 PM
92hondaaccordman
Unregistered

Yeah maybe cause come to think about it, it started to happen after some local shop replaced the ignitor chip. By chance do you know how or possibly a website that will point me to the right direction on how to check the connections on the ignitor chip etc. thanks

Old 11-03-2009, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Here's a 92 LX distributor, #10 is the ignitor. Check wire connections to that, and at the big multi-pin connector outside the distributor. Just for grins, check for loose wire connections at the coil too.