General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 EX starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:36 PM
dathustla001
Unregistered
Default 92 EX starting problem

Well i started my car with no problem, drove down the street to the store and turned off the ignition. When i came out i started it up again with no problem. About a block away from my house i shift into 2nd and make a turn. At first i didnt even notice that my car wasn't running until i looked at the tach. and sall it read 0 rpm. So i turned down my stereo and tried to bump start it while it was still rolling, and it didn't start. Eventually i rolled to a stop and tried to crank it but all i got was a grinding sound. I pushed it into my driveway, popped the hood, and told my brother to try to turn it over. He turned the key and i sall it was starting to turn over, then would make this loud grinding noise from somewhere around the starter.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 92 EX starting problem

what does sall mean? saw?

Is your check engine light on?

When you turn the key to start the car, does the engine turn at all or does nothing happen?

The problem is either with the fuel supply or spark.

When you turn the key to the II position, listen carefully for the fuel pump to turn on for a couple of seconds. It is a whirling sound that might be easier if someone turns on the key and you listen with the gas cap off. If you hear the whirling sound, then fuel pump is gettting power.

Turn your key to the II position, and find out if you have 12v on the yellow/black wire that goes to the distributor. Aso pull a spark plug wire and plug and ground the body (threaded part) to the engine block. Try to start the car. If you see a bright blue/white spark, then you are getting spark to the cylinder.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:07 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if the starter is grinding, i would imagine its not cranking the engine over fast enough to start and the gear isnt meshing with the flywheel correctly,

get a jumpstart, if the voltage is low in the battery sometimes the solenoid doesnt have enough force to keep the flywheel and the starter gear meshed, leading to grinding.

when you try to start it hold the gas pedal down, might help it start easier.

start with that. If it doesnt work, it may be a more serious problem.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:47 PM
dathustla001
Unregistered

Its getting fuel and im pretty sure its getting spark. I think it has something to do with the starter because its not cranking over enough for it to even try to start. I'll try and jump start it to see if the starter is just not getting enough power.